Shlok Sharma: Was fascinated by these characters

Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; April 21, 2022)

Shlok Sharma, who made his debut with Nawazuddin Siddiqui-starrer Haraamkhor (2015), has placed India’s name on the list of countries whose films will screen at the Tribeca Film Festival. Sharma’s Two Sisters And A Husband, co-written by Shilpa Srivastava, is India’s official entry to the New York festival in the International Narrative Competition section. 

The filmmaker says, “It is an honour to be part of a festival that [will screen the works] of such celebrated filmmakers whose films we have grown up watching. My producer, Navin Shetty and I have dreamt of this opportunity. This story is close to my heart. It is based on a family in our proximity. While growing up, I continued to be intrigued by them, even though I hadn’t met them in years. I collaborated with Shilpa, and we kept revisiting the circumstances of these characters. Each time that I would visit them as a piece of fiction, I would be baffled by their reality. Their universality is their emotions — pure, unadulterated and relatable.”

The film will have its world premiere at the festival that runs from June 8 to 19. It is the only Indian film to have been selected at the festival.