Ranveer Singh: Inspired by actors like Daniel Day-Lewis

Stating that he had no reference point for his Jayeshbhai Jordaar act, Ranveer says he aims to transform on screen with every character
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; April 11, 2022)

From the fast-talking wedding planner in Band Baaja Baaraat (2010) to the menacing Alauddin Khilji in Padmaavat (2018) and the rapper in Gully Boy (2019), Ranveer Singh has given us characters far removed from one another. Jayeshbhai Jordaar is another addition to the list. Besides the compelling script, it was the joy of transforming into a small-time Gujarati businessman that drew the actor to director Divyang Thakkar’s social comedy.

Ahead of the film’s release, Singh hopes that the audience will be surprised by his character — one that, according to him, represents a new brand of heroism. He says, “Jayeshbhai Jordaar presented me with an opportunity to play a character with no reference point. For me, the best thing about being an actor is that you can live so many lives because each character I play is remarkably different from the others. When people saw Band Baaja Baaraat, they felt I was a boy who was born and brought up in Delhi. This has happened many times in my 11-year career. To me, that is the biggest compliment because I like to convince people that I can transform into anyone.”

The actor admits that he picks his projects strategically, mindful of not getting typecast. “I’m deeply inspired by the shape-shifting actors across the world, especially by Daniel Day-Lewis. So, I look forward to metamorphosing with every film. I have done this since my first [movie] to my last release '83 [2021], in which I became the legendary Kapil Dev.”