Amit Tandon
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; April 26, 2022)

Stand-up comedian Amit Tandon, who made his debut on TV as a host with Good Night India, is working on a script for a full-length comedy film along with colleague Piyush Sharma.

Amit says, “Penning down a full-blown script as opposed to writing content for skits and plays for TV shows is a different ball game altogether. However, I feel that at this stage of my career, I am ready to take on this responsibility. I am in my 40s and often called a boomer in the comedy circuit because it is assumed that people like me aren’t keeping pace with the fast-advancing technology. So, I wanted to talk about how the mindset has changed with the advent of social media — the belief that the more followers you have, the more successful you are in life and how it is impacting everyone. A movie seemed the most appropriate medium to tell this story. It’s a young, relevant script. It’s a social commentary, but with a funny script set in today’s India.”

Stand-up comedy has often been called out for resorting to double entendre for quick laughs. However, Amit professes clean comedy. He shares, “Initially, I would use cuss words. But I realized that I wasn’t too comfortable with it given the fact that the elderly and kids were also a part of my audience. Another reason was that I, too, had kids and was living with my parents. I won’t do comedy that I am not comfortable with my family watching.”

Talking about his experience of hosting on the small screen, he says, “A TV show has a dynamic and demanding environment. The amount of work that goes into shooting four episodes in a day can be exhausting. It was a learning experience and also pressuring, as I hadn’t hosted before.”