The notion of success is very different now
Deep Saxena (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 25, 2022)

Actor, painter, author and musician Suchitra Krishnamoorthi finds the present time an interesting phase for creative people.

The Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (KHKN, 1994) actor says, “I think it’s a very good time for artistes and others in creative fields. Everything is so fluid — no notions of success or creativity.”

Krishnamoorthi adds, “Now, it’s not only about films; there are other mediums like TV or OTT to explore one’s creativity. I see youngsters on Instagram, YouTube and other mediums doing so well. I may not know them, but my daughter talks about people having 30-50 million followers. So, the notion, concept, and consumption of success are very different from earlier days. For me, it’s all about art!”

The multi-tasker recently shot two web series and is geared up for her next too. “I am getting offered projects that are on par with my calibre. Earlier, what I was offered was simply rubbish, but now I am getting the kind of stuff that I will like to give my time and energy to.”

After being away from acting for many years, she says, “I decided to get back to work only after my daughter started at her college (Berklee College of Music, Boston). She has also shot for a teen love story. Though everybody was telling me that I was using it as an excuse, as a single mother, it was my choice to be with her and raise her. Then the pandemic happened, and now I am back in action.”

The actor feels blessed to still be loved and remembered by her fans. “In the Hindi industry, people remember me as Aana (character from KHKN) and in the South as Annu Pillai for Kilukkampetti (1991). I consider myself lucky and blessed that these roles became so iconic that even today I meet a lot of people telling me that they have watched my film over 300 times and what not!,” she says.

In the series Guilty Minds, Krishnamoorthi will be seen as a South Indian lawyer, and the show will continue in season two. “Then, I am busy with Murgaon: The Closed File (2022) and another yet-to-be-announced series. On the music front too, I am looking forward to doing an alternate space album in the classical and fusion zone.”