Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 23, 2022)

Senior actor Rajendra Gupta has been working in showbiz for almost 40 years and he’s seen the evolution of both cinema and television. Looking back at the time when private networks took over TV, he says that they were just profit driven. “Initially, when these private channels started, I was a misfit. Producers, makers and channels were not interested in senior actors like me. They are more attracted towards fresh faces,” says the 74-year-old, who plays a primary character in an ongoing TV show. He adds, “Also, I didn’t compromise monetarily. So, they would never call me. I would feel really bad.”

An alumnus of the National School of Drama, Gupta says that though there was “alienation” between him and the makers, he never let go of his principles: “I’m very professional when it comes to work. It hurts when someone exploits me. I have never asked or called anyone for work. People have approached me after seeing my work.”

The Lagaan (2001) actor has played central roles in many TV shows, but his stint on the big screen has been sporadic. He reasons, “There were camps in cinema and I was never a part of them. It’s not my personality. Haan, thoda sa malaal hai, as I never got major roles in movies. Film waale only called me for cameos. Woh baat andar se chubhti hai.”