Vinay MR Mishra (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 15, 2022)

She has been seen in films such as Raazi (2018) and Malang (2020). But, actor Amruta Khanvilkar’s appearance in the Hindi space has been sporadic. Point this out to her, and she says, “I’d want to question the makers. I try my best. Be it auditioning or meeting people, actors have to go through a lot. And I have been doing that. I want to be seen more often. I want people to see me working. But that will happen when it’s supposed to happen. I’ve stopped beating myself up for it, as I used to do that earlier.”

Having said that, Khanvilkar is not bitter about going through the mill. “Sometimes, you don’t fit a character and mauka miss ho jaata hai. I realised that it’s okay; it has nothing to do with your acting, it is to do with the character. You need to fit the character at the right age and time. I do get offers. Sometimes it’s overwhelming to go to the end process like look tests, but fitfully things don’t work out. You have to take it with a pinch of salt,” she explains.

She was last seen on screen with her Marathi film Pondicherry, which turned out to be a “surprise” for the actor. “We thought it would be an OTT release,” she mentions.

Interestingly, director Sachin Kundalkar saw her work in Raazi and offered her the role. “He stripped us off our looks and vanity. The way I’ve cried in the film, I only cry like that in real life in my house, at my comfort. I’ve never cried like that on screen. I forgot my best profile (laughs),” she shares, and adds that she’s inspired by the work of actors Shefali Shah and Konkona Sen Sharma. “I want my craft to be like that. I want to be so good that people forget what I have done in the past,” she signs off.