Richa Chadha talks about the factors that drive her decision of signing a project
Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 12, 2022)

Actor Richa Chadha has earned the reputation of doing unconventional work in her 14-year-long career. But she admits that despite making offbeat choices, not all projects have done well.

“It is different when I get involved with something right from its inception, like Masaan (2015), for instance. There are also times when I choose projects that come to me. But I’m not foolish to say that everything I’ve chosen has worked out. I have also been naive to think that if I work with a particular director because his intent is good, the film will also be good,” admits the actor.

Chadha explains, from wanting to work with the people involved, or liking a script to signing work due to free time, there are various factors that drive her decision to take on a project. “With films such as Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye! (2008), Gangs Of Wasseypur (2012), or [my latest film] Madam Chief Minister (2021), it was different,” she says, and adds, “For instance, I really felt that the story (of Madam Chief Minister) needed to be told, particularly by somebody like me, who thinks of herself as an ally. I hardly charged any money for the film; it was more like a token amount. But sometimes, you choose a movie because your agency tells you, ‘Aapke paas dates khali hain’.”

The actor goes on to talk about some roles that one can’t say no to, case in point — her cult character Bholi Punjaban from the Fukrey franchise. “Sometimes, you have to do a film because you are part of the prequel. I am part of the Fukrey series and no matter which other projects I do, that character is iconic and I still have to reprise it,” Chadha, 35, ends.