Manoj: I don’thave a knack for PR

Digvijay (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 29, 2022)

Actor Manoj Bajpayee may often find himself in the spotlight due to his performances, but is not a fan of all the attention and the paparazzi culture in Bollywood. “I really don’t have a knack for PR (public relations). I just lead my life the way I am. I don’t have it in me to make an effort for people to photograph me when I am coming out of a grocery store,” he tells us.

However, The Family Man actor holds nothing against celebs who prefer being clicked often. “It’s good for the people who do it, [I have] nothing against them. I just don’t have it in me,” he maintains.

But that doesn’t stop the 52-year-old from working on his personal style. In fact, he credits his stint in the film industry for the evolution of his fashion sense. “I was very reluctant (about dressing up) at the beginning of my career, but then designers started throwing fits and I succumbed to it. Now, I am quite a pro. My designers know what colours, fabrics and fits I like. I am very finicky about the fit, it just can’t go wrong,” says the Gangs Of Wasseypur (2012) actor.

He goes on to add that a profession like acting goes hand in hand with fashion: “There are so many events that you have to attend and dress up for the occasion. So you eventually get used to it.”

Bajpayee, who marked his return to the ramp after 10 years as a showstopper for designer Samant Chauhan at the recent FDCI X Lakmé Fashion Week, confesses he was “very nervous”. “It’s (walking a ramp) not something that I have been doing for long. I still get butterflies in front of the camera while acting. This is another ball game,” he ends.

Actor Manoj Bajpayee has always chosen to be far away from the glitz and glam of the paparazzis of B-town.The actor who was seen in the OTT series The Family Man (2019), doesn’t like to get papped. “I really don’t have a knack for PR. I just lead my life the way I am, I really don’t have it in me to make an effort for people to photograph me when I am coming out of the grocery store or an airport. It’s good for the people who do it, nothing against them. But I just don’t have it in me at all.”