Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; January 29, 2022)

Seven years after his daily soap outing with Itna Karo Na Mujhe Pyaar, which wrapped up in 2015, Ronit Bose Roy is returning to the grind with Sargun Mehta and Ravi Dubey’s Swaran Ghar. It is the short and sweet track that prompted him to take up the offer. He shares, “I don’t have a full-length role with an indefinite end in the show. It’s a sweet and short outing. However, one can't predict how things shape up on a TV show. I was roped in for a three-month track in Kasautii Zindagii Kay, but it ran for nine years.”

Today, Ronit has struck a fine balance between all three mediums — TV, films and web. Talking about why he hasn’t been seen on the small screen for a while, he says, “The primary reason was that nothing that I was being offered interested me. I had also started doing films. So, it was not possible for me to dedicate the time and energy that would be required for a daily soap.”

Over the years, the seasoned actor has reached an enviable position, where he can afford to be selective. He shares, “There is no strategy. I don’t work with people I don’t like or who treat art as a mere business. Actors are highly emotional. So, somewhere I feel the need for that love. I can’t work just for the money even though I don’t have crores of wealth put away unlike what most people assume. Money is also important, but it is not a belief that I live by. I have declined innumerable offers from big either didn’t work out or I didn’t like the role. However, I am working with all of them today. They understand my reason. I don’t worry about the length of the role. The only term I look for is whether it is meaningful, if it is making a difference to the story or if I am doing something I have not done before.”

Ronit is averse to the number game and says, “I want to play the part assigned to me to the best of my ability. The number game doesn’t interest me and I don’t want to get into the rut because it’s a mind-muddler. Maybe, I made mistakes and wrong choices after Jaan Tere Naam (his first film that was released in 1992). But today, I am receiving love, and I feel blessed. I truly believe that there is no actor in the world who is bigger than the show. If that was the case, then no actor would have had flops. Content is most important.”