Sanjith Sidhardhan (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 15, 2022)

For Malayalam actor Tovino Thomas, who is set to clock 10 years in the industry on January 28, there is probably no better time to ring in that occasion. His latest film Minnal Murali is the most-watched Indian movie in the past three weeks on a streaming platform giant.

The 32-year-old says, “I have always maintained that I don’t want to be a star and that I am not interested if my films cross Rs. 50 crore or Rs. 100 crore-mark. But I want Malayalam cinema to be viewed by international audiences.” In that regard, the success of Minnal Murali is a step in that direction, he feels.

For him, it is the advancement of the industry that is more important. “I don’t see a point in me being bigger than the Malayalam industry. If that happens, where will I find work? But if the industry expands, all of us can grow together,” he explains.

Ask him if he is satisfied with the growth in his nearly decade-long career, which includes films such as Kala (2021), Maayanadhi (2020) and Godha (2017), he replies, “Ever since I entered cinema, I have believed that I’m successful, as my dream was to act and I achieved that. I’m living my dream now and so, whether I have growth or not, I’m content.”

Talking about the expectations that come with the success of the film, Thomas shares, “With more reach comes more responsibility. I know that it’s not the same number of people who have seen my previous films who will be watching my next projects as Minnal Murali has introduced me to a wider audience.”

While he was hailed for stellar stunts in the superhero film, he informs that it took a toll on his body. “When you are fighting in that suit, you perspire a lot. On certain days, no matter how much water I drank, my uric acid levels kept going up and I suffered gout attacks,” he says.