Aparshakti Khurana: I am sampling spy films, watching interviews

MID-DAY (January 6, 2022)

Zee Studios on Wednesday announced its latest film Berlin, a spy thriller mystery starring Aparshakti Khurana and Ishwak Singh of Paatal Lok fame. Set in the early ’90s Delhi, the film will be written and directed by Atul Sabharwal of Netflix crime thriller Class Of '83 fame.

According to the makers, Berlin narrates the story of a sign language-expert, who gets into the “dark vortex of rivalry” between intelligence agencies, deceit, and corruption. Sabharwal said he is excited to mount the film, which is set to go on floors early this year. 

“We have a great history of spy thriller films, this thriller drama is based on a mute and deaf spy. Also, seeing the Delhi city of the ’90s will be first of its kind visual interpretation, while covering an exciting time in the history of the country. The team can’t wait to bring the magic on screen,” the writer-director said in a statement.
---------------------
After a string of comedies, Aparshakti on prepping for his first spy film, Berlin
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; January 7, 2022)

The Indian market hasn’t particularly done justice to the genre of spy thrillers, which makes Atul Sabharwal’s next, noteworthy. Sabharwal, whose resume boasts of projects like Class of 83, and Aurangzeb is set to present Berlin, a true-blue spy thriller revolving around a mute and deaf spy. 

In a round of casting that may seem rather unusual, the ebullient Aparshakti Khurana is set to play the protagonist in the project that pairs him with Pataal Lok actor Ishwak Singh. “I am currently putting together a list of spy thriller films that I need to watch as prep work. I have also begun reading and watching interviews of former spies. I am working on understanding their point of view, and learning about their experiences. There are several anecdotes that I have come across that, I am sure, will come handy,” says Khurana. 

Set in Delhi in the early ’90s, the Zee Studios offering will see the protagonist get involved in the rivalry between intelligence agencies. 

“This project is giving me the chance to explore new horizons. This is a genre that I haven’t explored before, but have wanted to since a long time. I am grateful to get a chance to unleash this side of me. I am thrilled, yes, but I would be lying if I said I am not nervous.” Having found comfort in the genre of comedy, Khurana says that while this genre “comes second”, he’s happy to “test new waters and push myself beyond the comfort zone.”