Sushmita Sen opens up about her breakup with Rohman Shawl
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 31, 2021)

Actor Sushmita Sen has always believed in speaking the truth, be it about her professional sphere or personal life. That’s why she didn’t try to conceal the fact that her relationship with model-actor Rohman Shawl had ended.

“For me, closure is a big thing. When you are a public figure, the person [who is] involved with you is also in the public eye. So, it is not fair for his or your life to be stuck,” says Sen, who announced her split from Shawl via social media earlier this month.

She continues, “Closure is essential for both people so that they can move on with their lives. And, of course, the friendship remains. At my age, if I sit and think about the terrible things (in life), I am wasting my life.”

The 46-year-old is proud of the fact that she has learned a lot from every relationship she has had in her life. “In every relationship, I’ve grown. It’s a beautiful thing to be able to speak your truth,” the actor says and adds that she is “a 100% person”.

“When I’m in love, I’m 100%. So, when we leave (part ways) gracefully, we must do that 100% [as well]. Whatever the reason may be [for your breakup], your life is not about being in a loop. The truth is incredible because it allows people to remain friends and be good to each other. The world needs that love. There are enough problems with it already,” explains the actor.

On the professional front, Sen describes 2021 as a beautiful year. Her career has reached new heights, with her web series Aarya receiving International Emmy nominations and the success of its second season. “I feel blessed. I came back after a 10-year hiatus with an author-backed role, which has got overwhelming acceptance. It has not been a mixed year, but a beautiful one,” she says.

A few days before her birthday this year, Sen underwent surgery on November 16. She says that it was the result of a health concern she had ignored for the last seven years: “By the end of filming Aarya2, I knew that now we couldn’t delay this (surgery) anymore. Look at how graceful my God is that in the middle of Covid-19, Europe opened, just so that I could have my surgery done.” She adds that she is “recovering well, and is looking forward to getting back to training again”.

“I’m entering 2022 at my healthiest, hopefully fittest, and I have Aarya season three and other things to look forward to,” she ends.