Singer Sanjeevani Bhelande reveals how she moved from films to spiritual tracks
Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 21, 2021)

Singer Sanjeevani Bhelande first came into the limelight after winning season one of the music reality show, Sa Re Ga Ma, in 1995. And since then, there has been no looking back. She has performed in over 2,000 live concerts and sung a number of popular tracks, including Chori Chori Jab Nazren Mili (Kareeb; 1998), Chidiya Tu Hoti Toh (Nayak; 2001), Nikamma Kiya Iss Dil Ne (Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa; 2002) and O Yaara Rab Rus Jaane (Socha Na Tha; 2005), among others.

For Bhelande, playback singing gave her voice an “identity” and helped her reach a wider audience. The 51-year-old explains, “When the history of music is written, to have your name as a playback singer and to be known for original songs means a lot. I’m fortunate to be a part of some good songs.”

But it is her spiritual tracks that brought her immense fame. She says, “I have composed over 100 spiritual songs, which is where my strength lies. Many of my aartis have a million views on YouTube. The internet has been a blessing as I have a huge following online.”

In the last year, the singer has released three albums including a spiritual album for prayer meeting and one, where she sang traditional bandishs in raag format. “I have authored a book, Meera And Me, a contemporary interpretation of Meera. I have also sung love songs in English in an album under the same name. I am working on a thumri and a song on Nature and a Hindi and English translation of a Marathi abhang by Sant Tukaram,” she reveals.

The singer is happy to have “continued her classical training” all these years. She says, “I want to perform more classical music than ever before. Over the years, I can see my growth has been phenomenal.”

Recalling her days of being on the reality show and how it was a stepping stone for her to foray into playback singing, she remarks, “It was the very first season so the reach wasn’t that wide. When I was singing on the show, it felt like a college competition. But it felt great to have a legendary composer like Khayyam saab give me the prize.”

Elaborating further on the changes in singing reality shows now, she tells us, “These days, the shows have become cutthroat and well-defined. There is an economics to reality shows. Today, contestants have a makeup department to help them. Back then, there was no glamour. It was simple.”