Celebs from showbiz talk about how the late Pradeep Guha empowered women and helped them break the glass ceiling and move beyond it into careers of their choice
BOMBAY TIMES (August 24, 2021)

Pradeep Guha, who was an integral part of the Times Group for close to three decades, passed away on Saturday only weeks after he was diagnosed with cancer. Guha, 69, was widely recognised as one of the most influential voices in the world of media, marketing and advertising. During his long association with Times Of India’s parent company BCCL – of which he became President (Response) and Executive Director – Guha worked closely with the shareholders to help grow it into a powerhouse of advertising, brands, campaigns and events such as the Filmfare Awards and the Miss India pageants. He was instrumental in empowering brands like Femina and Filmfare, and played a huge role in the launch of products such as Bombay Times and Delhi Times. His passion for cinema led him to create a production house of his own; Guha was the producer of Fiza (2000), Tehzeeb (2002) and Phir Kabhi (2009). He was a popular and widely respected name in the world of entertainment and glamour and many well-known faces reacted to the news of his passing away with grief and nostalgia.
-----------------------
HE WAS EXTREMELY DIRECT, IT BROUGHT OUT THE BEST IN YOU: CELINA JAITLY HAAG

I met Pradeep Guha (PG) for the first time as a 17-year-old. I was the last of his iconic list of protégés. In our first meeting, he told me I should participate in the Miss India pageant. A few months down the line, I ended up being selected along with 300 girls for the two slots for east India in the pageant. I had dolled up for the final selections, he looked at me and said only one thing, “Go wash that makeup off your face and we need to see you without your heels.” I was petrified as I suffered from severe teenage acne, but he was the man who had discovered Aishwarya (Rai Bachchan), Sushmita (Sen), Lara (Dutta Bhupathi) and Priyanka (Chopra Jonas). So, I cried while I washed my face, but I did it and that was the beginning of a lifetime of amazing adventures. He saw through the makeup and the borrowed bikini; he saw your capabilities in their entirety. He was not easy; he was extremely and heartbreakingly direct. I understand the value of that directness now, it brought out the best in you.

Under his guidance and constant moral building, even at ‘just’ 5’6, I went on to be a runner-up at Miss Universe. He was the only person who called me all the way in Puerto Rico during the pageant. I used to cry about Miss Venezuela, who was 6 ft tall without heels and he said, “You need to lose the child and embrace the woman within.”

The last time I spoke to him was when my comeback film, Season’s Greetings, released in 2020. He was so happy to see me return to cinema with amazing reviews. He was rather annoyed with me for not doing films since my marriage. He always told me, ‘Don’t give up the talent within you, which is yet to reach its brilliance.’ PG was the man behind the most iconic women of India; he saw what no one else could see. He had an amazing aptitude of judging our highest potentials beyond the veils of makeup and hair. PG will be missed dearly. My heart goes out to Papia (his wife) and son. Bhalo theko, PG... you will always be remembered with gratitude.

– As told to Debarati S Sen
-----------------------
THE WAY HE ORGANISED THE FILMFARE AWARDS AND MISS INDIA WAS EXEMPLARY: RAKESH ROSHAN

I could sense from the very moment I first met him, that he had both a mind and heart. A media and marketing genius, he was always brimming over with innovative and progressive ideas. Occasionally sharing a meal or a drink with him, would be a learning experience. This was especially so during his long tenure in The Times of India, as its Response head, while being involved in developing the brand value of the newspaper and its sister magazine publications. His creative strategy inputs and their execution by his staff under his perfectionist manner, proved that he was a team player. I think the way he organised the Filmfare Awards and the Miss India pageants was exemplary. Since he was a very modest person, I never saw him boasting about his achievements. When he produced Fiza, he re-asserted that he was multifaceted and completed the film smoothly. Never the sort to sit idle, he had many cards up his sleeve when he entered the digital domain. I feel saddened not only because of the loss of a friend but also of a true professional.

– As told to Rachana Dubey
-----------------------
HE TRULY EMPOWERED US: FORMER BEAUTY QUEENS

PRIYANKA CHOPRA JONAS
Your random calls of encouragement, your zest for life and your ambition was something I have always admired so much. This loss is so personal. I will miss your voice and strength so much. I’ve had very few constants in my life and outside my parents, you were one that I truly saw as my mentor. You saw something in me I never knew I had. You never shied away from reminding me on how I could be better. You always lead with charge. I’ve learned so much from you PG. With such a heavy heart I say a final goodbye to a huge constant in my adult life. I’ll miss the laughter, the gossiping, the stories, the encouragement. Will keep striving to make you proud. Picture abhi baaki hai.

LARA DUTTA BHUPATHI
A message that I received, barely three days ago, informing me that Pradeep Guha was critically ill and admitted in ICU, made my heart sink. Pradeep, or PG, as I have fondly called him over the last 21 years, has been a mentor, a father figure, a guide, and one of the finest human beings I have known. He was a maverick, a visionary. He always believed in himself and the people that he saw potential in. I was lucky in my lifetime to be one of those people. He was a straight shooter, he encouraged you to dream big, but also laid out your shortcomings, with solutions on how to tackle them. A great human being gone too soon. My last meeting with PG at Dia’s wedding will be now a memory that I will hold on to dearly and relive our conversation over and over again. I feel a sense of deep personal loss as PG was always family. Solace is found in knowing his soul is on its way to his next great adventure. He lived life large hearted and with big plans. I’m sure he’s going to shake things up wherever he’s headed! It was an honour, a privilege and a tremendous delight to know and have him as a friend, philosopher and guide in this lifetime!

DIA MIRZA
I think back to the courage he consistently gave me over the 21 years I’ve known him. A man who truly empowered us. I will never forget that car ride as he dropped me off to the airport as I left the country to represent India at the Miss Asia Pacific. “What if I lose?” I had asked him, and he said “It will be their loss. You are a winner.” Those words were everything. They gave the 18-year-old me so much strength. And over the years he stood by me. Through good times and bad. Always offering his wisdom. We will always work hard to make you proud PG. May you find peace and create magic wherever you are... Your legacy is the tremendous love and respect you helped so many individuals earn and the incredible faith you had in individual potential. Thank you for making each of us believe in ourselves.

DIANA HAYDEN
Pradeep, you have been my guide, my support, my advisor, my friend and a father figure through my adult years. My joy was your joy, my pain was your pain; and visa versa. You were always there... you are my family. I will always love you, and I will miss you.

NEHA DHUPIA
It feels like yesterday, every life lesson you taught me I have carried forward till today, every time I would see you or call you, you only added value in my life. Your loss will take a long time to process.

— As told to Rachana Dubey