Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; July 10, 2021)

Sangeeta Bijlani, who was seen in films like Qatil (1988), Tridev (1989) and Haatim Tai (1990), quit Bollywood after getting married to cricketer Mohammad Azharuddin in 1996. The actress is often seen at events hosted by Salman Khan’s family, proving that exes can be friends. In recent years, she has also been active on social media and shares fitness videos.

Sangeeta says that times have changed in Bollywood, and actresses today are working not only after getting married, but also after motherhood. She shares, “It’s fantastic that women are able to do that today. When I was working in films, even if you had an affair with someone or confirmed that you had a boyfriend, filmmakers would stop approaching you for movies. They would be worried about the actress getting married and leaving the project. Today, Bollywood is far more organised and professional. There is such amazing content coming up. Also, newer avenues are opening up like the digital space.”

When asked whether she regrets quitting films, she says, “No, I don’t regret it. It was a choice I made as I was getting married. I had enough as I had been working from the age of 15. I began modelling during my school days and would be pampered at fashion shows. Some would ask me to stop working and get back to my studies. I saw all this at a very early age and thought that I should begin a different journey. So, I was happy letting it all go. Back then, showbiz wasn’t as well organised as it is today. I had doubts about how I would be able to strike a balance between my personal and professional life.”

With the advent of digital space, Sangeeta says that she would like to return to acting through the new medium. “I would like to explore the digital space. I will take up an offer if it appeals to my sensibilities. Right now, I am not happy with what I am getting. I am excited to see the kind of work the new directors are presenting the audience with. I want to do something deep and interesting, not the regular, run-of-the-mill kind of stuff,” she says.

Reflecting on her equation with former boyfriend Salman, she shares, “Connections don’t break. The love between partners and friends never goes away. People will come and go. Nobody will be permanent in your life, but that does not mean you feel bitter or angry. At a certain point, you evolve. There was a point in time of my life where I was childish, but I am a grown-up now. Life is full of valuable experiences.”

Sangeeta’s marriage with former cricketer and politician Mohammad Azharuddin ended in 2010. She says she is currently in a happy space, personally. She adds, “I chose to be in this space. I don’t feel you need somebody to complete you and make you feel happy. That is external happiness for me. I think if you have people, then it is fantastic. We are all social beings, and we do need people to hang out with. But the journey right now is so beautiful. You can have a companion, a husband, a child, a father, a mother or a brother, but you don’t know how long they may be around. We are programmed to think that if a woman is not with a man right now, for whatever reason, then she is lonely. Loneliness is when you feel the need for somebody to complete you.”