Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 12, 2021)

Nepotism, according to Gulshan Devaiah, is not the only thing about Bollywood that needs to change. The actor feels that segregation of people based on their job profiles also needs to be done away with. “It happens across the entire spectrum — film sets, ad shoots or TV sets. I’m seeing this since the time I have been working here,” he admits, adding that though the divide is now diluted, it is not enough.

“In 2008, when I was an ‘extra’, people used to say, ‘Aapka khaana udhar laga hua hai aur unka wahan’... There’s a certain class and hierarchy,” observes the 43-year-old.

In a bid to initiate a conversation around the need to end such segregation, the Ghost Stories (2020) actor recently took to Twitter to express, “What bothers me more than Nepotism in Bollywood S1 E02: Sets that segregate people based on their job profile with separate dining areas”.

Talking about it, Devaiah says, “So much tamasha is made about nepotism. In fact, nepotism pichle saal se kaafi popular hai particularly humari industry mein...”

The Unpaused (2020) actor adds, “I’m not trying to deny it, but there are so many other things as well which are bothersome. That’s why I thought I will start writing my thoughts.”