Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 2, 2021)

Just a couple of months ago, Payal Ghosh was using Twitter to help people in need amid the second Covid-19 wave. But, it seems the toxic streak of social media is back, something which has forced the actor to take a break from the platform.

“I’ve been on and off Twitter in the last month, and I’m in a much happier zone,” she admits, adding, “I just don’t want these negative vibes. It made my life hell.”

Being a part of politics, the 31-year-old feels, is one of the reasons why she is subjected to harsh comments and hate. “I look at myself less as a politician and more as a social worker. But, people always want to create negativity about my political allegiance,” she notes, asserting, “There is a difference of opinion and sometimes, it takes such an ugly turn that it goes out of control. People bring communal and political angles in their comments about me. I felt it was too much.”

Ghosh says that now, she doesn’t want to think about all the trolling that happens. “I don’t care about what’s going on and what’s being said about me. As politicians, we get so much hatred for nothing,” shares the actor, who is the vice-president of the Republican Party of India’s women’s wing.

She goes on to add that with so much “trolling and abusing”, one can’t talk about things they really want to. “Different groups will attack you, you can’t do anything. There is too much of mental pressure. Even if I don’t deactivate my account, I won’t be active for sure. I want a detox,” concludes Ghosh.