Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 9, 2021)

He was someone who you would see in bit roles in movies and on TV, and say, “Oh, that funny guy!” But that was before he became a household name as Gutthi in Comedy Nights With Kapil. Since then, Sunil Grover has given us many-a-reason to laugh with his flamboyant characters. But, he says, there is much more to him than just a funny guy. Excerpts:

You’ve had your share of struggles, what has been your biggest learning from it?
My journey has been full of surprises. If I look back, there have been many hurdles. I have been replaced from shows after shooting for two days, sometimes, I have been rejected outright. These setbacks resulted in self-doubt. Then I shifted gears and did voice-overs for seven to eight years. Once I started to feel somewhat settled, toh acting offers started coming in.

You mentioned that you were replaced in a show after shooting for two days. Such experiences can leave anyone bitter and demotivated...
My confidence definitely took a blow, but no, I wasn’t bitter. I kept trying. When I was shooting for The Legend Of Bhagat Singh (2002), I would mimic everybody on the sets. There I met person who was fondly called Baba bhai. He was surprised to hear me speak in 60-70 voices and he told me, “Tum itni awaazein nikaalte ho, let me introduce you to the world of voice-overs.” I had no idea about voice-overs then, but within three-four years, I made a name for myself in that profession. Later, I got the show, Chala Lallan Hero Banne, which was appreciated. One thing led to another and that’s how my journey started. Through all of this, I learnt to never give up. Main dheeth (adamant) bann gaya.

Comedy has been your strength, but do you think that somewhere, it has crippled your chances of growing as a versatile artiste?
After my recent web show (Sunflower), people have started seeing me differently. I am grateful to the makers for envisioning me in such a role, despite the fact that I come with a comedy baggage.

I asked them if they were sure about casting me — kahin aisa na ho ki udhar murder karne jaa raha hoon aur log hass pade (laughs!). I am glad it clicked with the audience and people accepted the character. Now, I am enjoying exploring various genres and parts. Having said that, I love doing comedy and making people laugh.

While you have been loved by the audience for your performances on TV, your solo outings on television haven’t been that successful...
I believe everything happens for a reason. Had those shows been successful, I would have been busy there. I wouldn’t have been able to experience what I am doing today. My destiny has got me here. Sometimes, what you think is bad for you, actually turns out to be good.

Though you have featured in several movies, Vishal Bhardwaj’s directorial Pataakha (2018) was a turning point in your film career. A year later, you were seen as Vilayati Khan in the Salman Khan-starrer Bharat. However, just when things were looking up for you, the pandemic struck, bringing everything to a screeching halt. How did you stay positive during this phase?
As I said, I always feel that everything happens for a reason. Achhe ke liye toh waise kuchh bhi nahi ho raha with so many people losing their loved ones. I have lost dear ones, too, and it’s been difficult to deal with that. We have no option, but to keep going. Life isn’t the same anymore. Yes, a couple of projects were shelved or postponed, however, I feel that I have been one of the luckier ones. By the grace of God, I am at a stage in my career where I can survive without work for a few months or a year.

Today you have many options. Will you continue to balance TV and films?
My ambition is to work with good people and creative minds who know their job. They could be novice or experienced, but they should know their job because I want to give my 100 per cent. Also, I can plan a thousand things, but what matters is what comes my way.

Your fallout with Kapil Sharma had created a huge controversy. With the passage of time, have the old wounds healed and are there any plans of collaborating with him?
I have some great memories of working on the show and it has given me a lot. As far as collaborating with Kapil is concerned, why not? If I am offered a great concept, I will take it up.

As an artiste, do you miss your popular characters, especially Gutthi and Rinku Bhabhi? Or, have you moved on?
Abhi bhi meri cupboard mein saare suits, sarees, blouse aur accessories pade hai. So, whenever I miss my characters, I just go to my cupboard and look at them, aur kabhi kabhi unko bahar nikaalke dhoop bhi lagwa deta hoon. Woh mere liye badi prized possessions hai. When everybody in my home sleeps, I sometimes put those clothes on, and take a trip down nostalgia lane (laughs!).