Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 27, 2021)

Juhi Parmar’s recent post on Instagram struck a chord with a lot of people, especially parents. She shared how an English song, used by millions for making Instagram reels, has extremely explicit lyrics, and people fail to realise that while using the song for digital content creation including videos with kids.

The actor says a friend pointed out the meaning of another song to her, and that is when she decided to check a few more. It left her “horrified”. Mother of an eight-year-old daughter, Parmar tells us, “While I avoided using such songs, I’d see people using them for themselves and for reels featuring their kids too; it got me worried. As many don’t know the meaning, it’s not a conscious decision. That’s why I felt it’s better to put it out for some to make an informed choice.”

She says many people have reached out to her after she posted the lyrics of the song in question. Parmar admits parenting is challenging given that even a song needs to be filtered before letting kids use it or listen to it.

“As much as we want to talk about freedom of speech and the ability to voice anything we want, when it comes to music as an art form, as a parent, the responsibility is a lot more. Why only music? TV, books, everything needs to be filtered. I don’t want my child to lose her innocence at a young age,” she shares, adding, “I think it’s tough being a parent today as we live in an age of information overload, where there’s so much content that filtering becomes even more difficult.”

The actor adds that often it is tougher to step back and not follow a trend only for the sake of engagement. “I, too, will falter along the way, but I’m trying to be more conscious as I have the added responsibility of a parent,” concludes Parmar.