Actor Sidharth Malhotra says that every actor across the world experiences highs and lows in his or her career
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 22, 2021)

It’s been almost a decade since he entered Bollywood with Student Of The Year (2012), and actor Sidharth Malhotra has had quite an interesting career trajectory. While ups were aplenty with Ek Villain (2014) and Kapoor & Sons (2016), he had to encounter disappointments as well.

Currently swamped with work, the actor calls it all a part of the game, adding that he doesn’t let himself get bogged down by anything.

“Every actor, at any level in India or anywhere else in the world, experiences both highs and lows. They all come with their set of learnings. I think the lows teach you much more than the highs,” states the 36-year-old.

Malhotra’s last theatrical release, Marjaavaan (2019), was a success. However, before that, there were a couple of films which didn’t meet the audience and box office expectations.

“I think no one questions you when things are going correctly and your movies are doing well. No one really introspects, questions or even criticises you,” he says, adding, “But when the low comes, that’s when the real learning happens. You get that kind of feedback, you want to work much harder, on yourself and on the stories, scripts etc. I think it definitely drives you.”

Malhotra is a rank outsider, who came to Mumbai and got into modelling, after which he assisted filmmaker Karan Johar on My Name Is Khan (2010) before the latter gave him his big break. And now, the actor feels that his experiences of the last nine years has driven him much more.

“There was a certain drive when I was struggling as an actor who came to Bombay... there were highs and lows as well. And today, I’m an established actor, working in many movies — there’s a different drive. So, I think my way of dealing with lows is the most aggressive and typical. I go into my own space and try to work on what I feel is needed and try to work harder and look forward,” says the actor, who will be seen next in Shershaah, Mission Majnu and Thank God.