Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 24, 2020)

He is one of the very few actors who are vocal on social media about various issues that exist in the country. And not just that, Vikrant Massey is also very socially aware and articulate while presenting his stance on any topic.

How does he find the courage to share his views so openly, especially as actors have to be extra cautious with their image? “I don’t think my profession has a role to play in that. This is who I am. My profession doesn’t dictate my personality or social media posts,” Massey says, adding that he doesn’t take his position for granted, and feels the necessity to speak up as and when required.

“I have always been the way I am today. When I sit in a comfortable place of privilege, coming from a regular middle-class family living in Versova... I think it is my social responsibility to do whatever I can, within my capacity, for people who’ve given me everything I have,” shares Massey.

And everyone, he feels, should be that way. “There are nameless, faceless people, who have secretly prayed for me and shelled money out of their wallets to watch my stuff. I owe it to them. It is my responsibility, it is every citizen’s responsibility,” he explains.

Not just in public sphere, the 33-year-old has been quite bold in his career choices, too — being part of unconventional films and dabbling with hardcore masala films only recently with Ginny Weds Sunny.

And though he understands that “everything is temporary” in showbiz, the actor admits, “Unfortunately, I have started thinking on similar lines (image consciousness). That is the unfortunate state of public discourse these days.”

“There are perceptions around people, and it isn’t that I don’t have that side to me, I’ve always been a sucker for drama and human interpersonal relationships. Hence, I took up the films I did. There is also another side to me which very few people are privy to. I laugh like other people do and I am a regular guy,” shares Massey.