Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; November 10, 2020)

Creating history in numerous ways, Kamala Harris emerged as the Vice President-elect in the recently-concluded US Presidential Elections. Members of the film industry in India showed overwhelming support for Harris through their social media posts almost instantly. Mallika Sherawat, who played a character based on Kamala in her Hollywood film, Politics Of Love (2011), remembers meeting her in the course of her prep for the role.

Talking to BT about Harris, Mallika says, “Kamala Harris’ win as a Vice President-elect of the United States of America is historic. Not only is she the first woman to occupy the office, but she’s also the first woman of colour and the first Asian-American to hold that office. She gives hope and a voice to the voiceless. She’s led her life by example and gives incredible hope to young girls and women all over the world.”

Recalling her meeting with Harris while preparing for the film, she adds, “She was extremely helpful when I met her while prepping for Politics Of Love. I played a Democrat volunteer who’s half-Indian, half-African-American in the film. I remember she gave me great advice. She had told me to try to keep the character balanced, and the film to represent both sides - the Democrats and the Republicans. I was feeling like a fish out of water in Los Angeles at that time. It was a different country and culture, but Kamala put me at ease. I remember her telling me, ‘Getting out of your comfort zone is good to build character, it will make you a stronger person’.