Renuka Vyavahare (BOMBAY TIMES; November 23, 2020)

Besides making a mark in Bollywood, Ali Fazal is one of those actors from Indian shores who have made headway in Hollywood with prominent roles in films like Victoria & Abdul (2017) and Death On The Nile (yet-to-release). The actor recently spoke to Bombay Times about diversity and inclusion in Hollywood, and also reflected on the challenges he faced in establishing himself as an actor in India and the West. 

“When I was starting out, I was unaware of the industry norms. I was studying economics and doing theatre. I always knew there’s more to life, so I wasn’t bogged down by the barriers that came with growth, the trials and tribulations of being an actor. I was interested in everything. And it was the same with Hollywood. Indians have mostly played Middle Eastern roles in the West, but even in that, I tried to break stereotypes. So what if the character was a Sultan (his Hollywood appearance in Fast & Furious 7), he wasn’t dressed in those princely robes. It’s the 21st century, so you bring in your own understanding of it,” Ali said.

Talking about how he viewed the roadblocks he faced, the actor shared, “The challenges have been building blocks, perhaps a tad more democratic in the West, but they have always existed. I have known colleagues, especially in the West, who have faced a lot of stereotypes, too. It’s always good to retain your identity and culture and merge it with wherever you are. As long as you are confident of your culture, it’s just a part you are playing. As actors, we are supposed to be moulded.”