Juhi Chakraborty (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 8, 2020)

Conversations about how Bollywood shuns people who come from outside the industry have been doing the rounds for quite a while now, and Madhurima Tuli agrees with the notion. The actor, who’s among the many to have transitioned from TV to films, admits prejudices do exist.

“When I started a film career, I was doing television, and people said if you’re doing TV, you cannot do films. So, I was always very scared thinking whether I’ll get a film or not, since I was doing TV,” shares Tuli, who has been a part of films such as Baby, Hamari Adhuri Kahani (both 2015) and Naam Shabana (2017).

There’s also the TV actor tag one has shrug off while making a career in films, feels the actor. “The tag is because you’re playing the part for almost three to four years, non-stop. So, people see you like that particular character and it becomes difficult to be seen in some other character after that show,” she explains, adding that the only way to break that image would be to take a break, groom yourself, change your look and then give films a shot.

However, Tuli, 34, believes having a TV background is of great help. “The tough shooting conditions help an actor to a great deal while doing TV and that comes in handy in films, too,” she says, admitting that all said and done, one has to go through a lot to prove oneself in the film industry.

“Bollywood is harsh; it’s not such a welcoming place. You really have to prove yourself to stay there. And it takes time, so you’ve to just focus on your work and keep believing in yourself. Once you lose belief, you cannot survive in this industry. It’s difficult to survive here,” she opines.

Her personal experience, Tuli shares, has been a mixed bag so far. “It has been on and off, honestly. People have appreciated my work and there are people who haven’t entertained me also. I feel blessed and lucky. I’m happy with however it is going for me,” she signs off.