Rajkummar Rao and Bhumi Pednekar. Pictures courtesy/PR
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; October 18, 2020)

As the National Award-winning film Badhaai Ho celebrates its second anniversary today, the film’s team is gung-ho about its sequel, Badhaai Do. The project was to roll out in June, but the pandemic threw the film’s schedule off track. However, now the team is all set to go on the floors in January 2021.

Director of the film, Harshavardhan Kulkarni, who helmed Hunterrr in 2015, confirmed the news saying, “I am super excited to be a part of this franchise. Family comedies are evergreen and the idea is to create wholesome entertainment that can be enjoyed with the entire family. Our pre-production work is in full swing and we will start filming in January.”

While Badhaai Ho starred Ayushmann Khurrana and Sanya Malhotra, with unforgettable performances by Neena Gupta and Gajraj Rao, the sequel features Rajkummar Rao and Bhumi Pednekar. Speaking about his lead pair, the director says, “We have been able to do some reading sessions in the last few months, and the chemistry between Raj and Bhumi is so palpable that I am really looking forward to capturing this for the big screen. They are such fantastic actors. We have had a blast during our reading sessions. The hilarious script is written by Akshat Ghildial and Suman Adhikary.”

The film stars Rajkummar as a Delhi cop, who is the only male cop in a mahila thana. Talking about his role, the actor says, “I am happy that things are picking pace and the wheel is moving again. Badhaai Do is a special film for me.”

Rajkummar says, “I am glad to take up this nuanced character that has layers of conflicts to resolve in and around him. As far as the preparations are concerned, I have my own process of preparing for a character, and also, this time it is the setting of this character that makes it unique. The audience is in for a surprise, which will unfold with time. I am happy to reconnect with the audience on the special occasion of Badhaai Ho’s second anniversary today. The film was an absolute delight and is one of my favourites.”

An excited Bhumi adds, “I have played many different roles previously in my films, but my character in Badhaai Do is truly special. I loved the script from the first narration itself as the subject is very relevant and is packaged in the most entertaining way. This is the first time I will be working with Rajkummar, and I am super excited as we begin our shoot soon. Badhaai Ho has been one of my favourites, and it feels amazing to take this franchise forward.”

Junglee Pictures has had an excellent track record of producing content-driven, successful films, which include Talvar, Bareilly Ki Barfi, Raazi and Badhaai Ho. And now, with Badhaai Do, the team is ready to surprise the audience yet again. Amrita Pandey, CEO, Junglee Pictures, shares, “We are delighted to bring another family entertainer, Badhaai Do, especially after the success of Badhaai Ho. We have tremendously talented performers like Rajkummar Rao and Bhumi Pednekar under the direction of Harshavardhan Kulkarni, and we are all set to go on floors in January 2021.”