The actress talks about how her father, Suniel Shetty, has taken up the job of her fitness trainer at their Khandala home
Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 15, 2020)

Suniel Shetty has been among the fittest actors in Bollywood ever since he began his career. Among the people, who take inspiration from the 59-year-old actor to stay fit, is his daughter Athiya Shetty. In fact, over the past few months, while the family has been staying at their Khandala home, he has taken on the role of her fitness trainer.

Athiya says, “During the past few months at home, I have spent the maximum time with my dad. He inspires me to work out regularly. So, these days we’ve been working out together. He is extremely passionate about fitness, yoga and eating right. It is tough to keep up with him, but I try (laughs!).” Suniel shares, “The truth is that Athiya tries to push the envelope and even matches up to me at times. She sometimes even bullies me (laughs!). She also tries to bunk our fitness session. I always tell her that we should workout six times a week, but she reasons that since there are only five weekdays, why should one workout for six days?”

The Motichoor Chaknachoor actress says that it almost feels like she is living with a fitness trainer at home as she tries to follow a healthier lifestyle and exercises five times a week with her dad. Suniel says, “I train her for one-and-a-half hours. This is quite kifayti, as she doesn’t need to hire a trainer aur paisa bachh jaata hai (laughs!).” Athiya adds, “Once he is done with his routine, he begins my training. Every day, we focus on different body parts. We have a gym in Khandala, and interestingly, he still has the equipment that he used years ago. He even has the dumb-bells he used during the filming of Balwaan (1992). He has preserved all of it, and it is quite precious to us.”

Talking about his collection, Suniel says, “Yes, I have preserved a lot of equipment. In fact, I have a ‘moon bench’, which new gyms don’t have. Arnold Schwarzenegger would use it, and seeing that, I had got one made for myself. It does wonders for your body.”