Actor Sonakshi Sinha says that she would like to play a royal character or do a sports biopic; adds she wants to attempt roles that she hasn’t done before
Pooja Sharma (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 6, 2019)

Sonakshi Sinha who made her debut with the blockbuster Dabangg in 2010, has experienced both highs and lows in her career. For someone who had the dream launch opposite Salman Khan, she is glad that she has had varied experiences, played myriad roles and also worked with maximum established faces in the industry. However, she seems more confident than ever about her upcoming choices as well as her craft. Whether the risks pay off or not, the actor is willing to experiment and do roles that she hasn’t attempted earlier. Excerpts from an interview:

While it is important for actors to take risks, how much do you consider the commercial viability of a project?
At this point in time it’s very difficult to predict which film is commercially viable and which is not. The audience has become so much more open to new and different kinds of films that a lot of films you never expect to work, do wonders and vice versa. For me, I have to connect to a film at the script level and that’s it.

Are you happy with the offers coming your way?
I’m happy because I get a lot of diverse roles to play. Look at my four releases this year: Satya in Kalank, Baby in Khandani Shafakhana, or even my part in Mission Mangal, and now Rajjo in Dabangg 3. All these roles are drastically different from one another and I enjoy that. But there are a lot of things I haven’t done and would like to do. For example, a sports biopic, or play a warrior princess, or a royal character, I want to do action again. I’m sure it will come my way soon.

Did you say yes to the third instalment of Dabangg without even reading the script considering it’s your debut franchise? Will you continue your association with the franchise without thinking twice?
Absolutely. 100%. I am what I am because of Dabangg and how it catapulted me into mainstream Hindi cinema. Even for part 3, I didn’t have to read the script because every time I would meet Salman there were open discussions on the story and how it would progress so I was always in the loop. This is something I will be a part of no matter what.

Though Rajjo’s character is important in the story, the film is predominantly centered around Salman’s character. Does the length of the role matter to you in this case?
In this case, no. Let’s be honest, Salman’s heroism and machismo has its own fan following from which a little bit spilled over to me by default just by playing his lady love and being accepted for it by the audience. It’s very important to be accepted from your very first film, and I’m always grateful for it.

Have you ever said no to a film which you later regretted?
Yes, it has happened a couple of times. But I’m someone who believes that whatever happens, happens for the best.

Considering the demanding lives actors live, does your work life balance go for a toss?
It’s definitely not easy to maintain a work life balance with our lifestyles nowadays, but you have to. Life is how you make it. Like I go through phases where I’m drowned in work and then I’ll suddenly switch off and take off to travel, and make the most of it. That’s how I keep my sanity.

Is it important for actors to have alternate interests as well?
Not only actors, I think everyone should have a passion that can take them away from all the worries in the world. It’s important for personal growth.