Tabu is glad that female actors are getting the fee they demand nowadays, but believes there is scope for improvement
Pooja Sharma (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 8, 2019)

After three back-to-back hits, Tabu feels she is in the most gratifying phase of her career. The actor, who has delivered hits such as Andhadhun (2018) and De De Pyaar De, in the recent past, says, “I am happy about the growth that I have seen in movies, and myself. To get the opportunities, to grow with your work, and have your growth reflect in your work is an amazing thing.” Being in a fulfilling stage in her career, she is more open to push the creative envelope even further. Excerpts from an interview:

After playing intense roles in the past few years, were comedies such as Golmaal Again (2017) and De De Pyaar De a breather?
I did what was required of me as an actor. Having said that, aisi type ki filmein beech mein nahi ban rahi thi. My presence in the serious films worked well. But people have not forgotten my roles in Chachi 420 (1997), Biwi No 1 (1999), or Hera Pheri (2000). When people cast you, they want to give you roles which you are good at. But at that time, these films were being made and so everything worked out in tandem. But my approach for every film has been the same. Every project has a different requirement of course. So, you try to fit into that and do justice to what is required of you.

Now, do you want to charge double after the success of your last few films?
(Laughs) I really should charge double! I am sure the makers who come to me will have that respect for what I deserve and will give me my due.

Are female actors now getting the fee that they demand?
I think so. A lot of demands are being met. I am sure the makers are smart enough to understand that if an actress is bringing them that kind of revenue and is pulling the crowd, they will give her the due. Actors are also intelligent; they know their position and demand accordingly. Of course, it’s a business so everyone will try to get the best deal. But, it is better now.

Are you ever unnerved on the first day of any shoot?
There’s a lot of excitement but no apprehension. Since you have done it for long, so you know the pattern. But, when you go on sets, it takes a day or two to settle, unless you know the people or have worked with them earlier.

How important is it for you to take breaks between movies?
Long enough breaks toh nahi, thoda sa just to regroup, because the process of making a film tires you. I like to take some time off because I like to prep for the film. By prep I mean like costumes etc. I don’t like last minute things such as fittings theek nahi hai, etc., because it distracts you from the shooting process. There are last minute changes, but if we can keep things in order, it saves time.