Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; November 12, 2019)

The past few years have not been easy for Pulkit Samrat. While he earned the reputation of being a brash actor, he hit choppy waters on the personal front. However, he now claims to be a changed person. “I realised ki mein yeh karne toh nahi aaya tha yahan pe (in Bollywood). Whatever sh*t happened, it changed things for me. I am really thankful to my family and friends, who helped me realise my mistakes and got me out of the pit,” he says.

These days, he is being linked to his Pagalpanti co-star, Kriti Kharbanda. As we talk to the duo, ahead of the release of the Anees Bazmee-directorial, Pulkit also thanks Kriti for bringing about the change in him. “She has been the biggest force in helping me get my act together,” he shares. Kriti proudly agrees, saying, “When the world was afraid to show him the mirror, I took up the responsibility. I told him, ‘Yeh galat ho raha hai. Tu chup chaap sudhar jaa warna main tujhe sudhaar dungi.”

While their camaraderie has become the talk of the town now, the two shared a different equation during Veerey Ki Wedding (2018), their first outing together. Kriti recalls, “Back then, we were not even friends. We were just like any other co-stars, who would come on the sets, work and go home. During the eight months between the film’s shoot and its promotion, we were not even in touch. I remember, I had called to invite him for the screening of my film, Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana (2017), and he asked, ‘Who’s this?’ He didn’t even have my number.”

So, when did they start warming up to each other? Kriti replies, “It all changed when we met for the promotions of Veerey.... During the shoot, too, I had fallen very sick, and fainted as my sugar levels dropped to 46. He was the one who took me to a hospital. However, while our friendship became strong during Veerey’s promotions, we hit it off during the shoot of Pagalpanti.”

Talking about the changes she has noticed in Pulkit, the actress says, “He has started opening up to people. He used to be extremely reserved earlier, but now, he tries to talk to the cast and crew. It is so lovely to see someone come out of their shell.”

Interestingly, Pulkit, too, has changed Kriti. She says that for her role in Housefull 4, she wanted to sport a svelte figure, but dreaded hitting the gym. It was Pulkit, who instilled discipline in her. “I knew that I looked pretty, but I wanted to look fit as well. I started working out only because of Pulkit. He asked me to give him 15 days (for her transformation), and along with the trainer, worked on my fitness routine. Today, I enjoy working out,” says Kriti.

Pulkit adds, “I enjoy working out so much that I never miss it. If my call time on the set is 5 am, I will hit the gym at 3, workout and reach the set on time. Today, Kriti also does the same. During the shoot of Pagalpanti, there were days when she woke up at 4 am to hit the gym.”

So, is there any truth to the buzz of them being in a relationship? When Pulkit replies, “Bhai, main toh isse pata raha hoon,” Kriti is quick to retort, “Main jaldi patne walon mein se nahi hoon (laughs!). For now, we are best friends, but in the future, you never know.”

There are also rumours that the two are in a live-in relationship. Bring this up and Kriti clears, “Are you mad? Meri maa chakkar aa ke gir jayegi. We only live in the same locality.”

We did a quick five session with Pulkit and Kriti, and here’s what they had to say:

Between the two of you, who do you think will propose first?
Kriti: It will be him.
Pulkit: Yes, I think so, too.
Kriti: You better be the first, okay?

What would your ideal first date be like?
Pulkit: Under the blanket of countless stars in the sky.
Kriti: … and a shooting star, while we swing on a hammock.

What would be the perfect location for your love nest ?
Pulkit: It should be in Goa, located by the white sand beach.
Kriti: The other one should be in London (Laughs!).
Pulkit: Yes, by the countryside.

If you were to throw a surprise by cooking something special for each other, what would it be?
Pulkit: I will cook mutton rogan josh, keema without mutter, yellow dal tadka and butter chicken with ghee rice for her.
Kriti: I will surprise him by cooking fish wrapped in banana leaf. I will also make idli sambar and meetha dalia for him.

What’s the one thing you will never gift each other?
Pulkit: I will never gift her chocolates. She is one girl who’s not fond of them.
Kriti: I will never gift him an all-boys trip to Bangkok (Laughs!)

What’s the most annoying habit that you would like to change in each other?
Pulkit: She has this annoying habit of overthinking.
Kriti: I want Pulkit to be more expressive and talk openly about his feelings.