Elina Nayak (BOMBAY TIMES; October 7, 2019)

A Telugu film inspired by the the bone chilling Sheena Bora murder case is on the cards and if all goes according to plan, looks like Raai Lakshmi will headline it.

The murder mystery is said to be based on the life of Indrani Mukerjea, the prime accused, who is serving sentence for murdering her own daughter. “I have read the script and the central character, which they want to rope me in for, sounds a lot like Indrani Mukerjea. The makers will present this as a fictionalised account, though. It will be a gripping thriller,” reveals Laxmi.

The Julie 2 actress, however, hasn’t signed on the dotted line yet. “I am kicked about the story and the prospect of playing a role that’s negative. But after I heard the script, I felt it needs some more tweaking. I want the characterization and the story to be believable, more so because this murder case got talked about so much in the whole country. Therefore, I have asked for some changes in my character arc. I’m waiting for a re-narration of the reworked script. If all goes well, I will get on board and meet the director, Swaraj,” says Laxmi.

The actress adds that she’s keen on doing more challenging roles that will help her break out of the glamdoll mould. “I’m done doing glam, beautiful, homely and positive characters. I am so glad Swaraj approached me with this film. I want to experiment at this juncture in my career, so I’m game for everything,” she says, adding, “Sometimes, a negative character has a great impact on the audience and they remember it for long.”