Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; October 1, 2019)

After staying away from the limelight, the original Saki Saki girl, Koena Mitra is back in action with Bigg Boss. Hours before entering the house, the actress spoke to Bombay Times about her relationships, career and the plastic surgery. Excerpts...

Where have you been all this while?
I was in Los Angeles, where I had planned to go just for a screen test. But when they selected me, I ended up staying there for four years. I am quite unpredictable (laughs!). I enjoyed my stay there, shot for two films, which are not complete yet. I have been visiting Kolkata, as my father is critical, and is surviving on dialysis. He won’t be able to see me on TV, because he is suffering from glaucoma, which is in the final stage. I was looking at doing something that’s different and takes my mind off of the stress. I will obviously be worried about my dad’s health during my stay inside the house.

You were in the news a few years ago, when there were speculations that your plastic surgery had gone wrong…
(Cuts-in) I want to ask you this question. This is the worst-kept story of our industry. Many have done it and many do it, but no one talks about it, as if it’s a crime or a sin. It’s a part of my story, so I didn’t mind talking about it. I gave statements and that’s why yeh peecha nahi chhodta. Even though it’s been eight-nine years since, people don’t stop asking me about it. Also, why are only women trapped and attacked when it comes to cosmetic enhancement? You are fine with 60 and 50-year-old men from our industry with no wrinkles and head full of hair looking like they have returned to their 20s! The film industry is extremely kind and welcoming, and never stopped offering me work. I may not have taken something up because of creative disagreements or quality of work.

Will you be comfortable with it becoming a topic of discussion inside the house?
Depends on how they ask the question. If it’s an attack, they won’t get any attention. If it’s out of curiosity, I won’t mind sharing it and I will repeat what I have said before. Personal attack hai toh they won’t get what they want. It’s my body, my face, my life, my story and no one else’s business.

It must have hurt you back then. How did you come to terms with it?
As humans, we make a lot of mistakes and take a lot of chances in one lifetime. Till the time you don’t experience things, how will you learn and know whether it tastes good or bad? Many do it and it’s their choice that they don’t like talking about it. There are many good things that I have done and there will be flaws as well. It’s up to people what they like, pick, celebrate and reject. I started working at the age of 11. I became independent at a young age. I call myself a very sincere and responsible person. All my achievements — even if they may seem small — are mine. No one has contributed to them. A lot of people ask me why I am not working. They don’t know what kind of work offers I get. Why should I do it if it disappoints me? I would rather travel the world, learn new things and do events.

Are you looking at Bigg Boss as an opportunity to return to the entertainment industry here?
First of all, that’s not a plan as I will do it anyways. Bigg Boss will help me reach out to and connect with a wider audience, who may never go to a theatre to watch a film. I have worked with big banners, however, I have not had dignified or exciting offers in recent times. I have been offered many sex comedies, but I don’t see myself standing with a carrot, a lauki or a baingan on a poster (laughs!). The idea isn’t just to be seen on screen or hoardings.

What’s happening on the personal front?
I am single. One can’t plan marriage or dating. But I hope my next relationship is exciting enough. I don’t want to date a boring man, because I am quite boring myself. I am an introvert, I am not a social butterfly, I don’t like going out on every weekend. So, he should be different and make me do those things. I have met many people, but till the time a person doesn’t inspire me, I don’t see a relationship happening. And, that hasn’t happened in the last seven to eight years. I have been man-free since that long.