The actor talks about playing an older character in his upcoming show
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; September 26, 2019)

Actor Ashish Chowdhry is the latest to join the cast of the second season of Beyhadh, after Jennifer Winget and Shivin Narang.

The arc of his character is such that he will start off as a young father and age during the course of the show. However, he isn’t worried about ageing on screen. Ashish shares, “I agree that it is completely Jenny’s (Jennifer) show. However, that’s not the approach I want to have towards my career — that I will play only titular characters and should be the solo lead; the role should be creatively satisfying, that’s all. Truly fulfilling performances are the ones that come with stepping out of comfort zones and doing something out of the box, which I am doing with this show. I don’t want to repeat myself, as it tends to get boring.”

Ask him if he has any qualms about playing dad to a grown-up actor like Shivin, and he replies, “I have no qualms about ageing on screen. I will play a cupboard if it is challenging enough. Many actors have played fathers to costars their age, and been appreciated for it. On TV, I have the liberty to be selective, which isn’t the case with films. I was stuck in the comic zone and felt stagnated, but I can explore various shades on the small screen.”

We hear that the actor will sport a salt-and-pepper look on the show. Without divulging too much about his character, Ashish says, “Getting into looks is really fun, as it enhances one’s performance, too. I have had my warm-up and consider my new approach as the beginning of my career.”