Vicky Kaushal
Smita Poojary (DNA; August 29, 2019)

Undoubtedly, 2019 has been a great year for Vicky Kaushal. At the beginning of the year, his film Uri: The Surgical Strike had him in a lead role and did a business of more than Rs 200 crores. He also won the National Award for his performance in the military action film. “It feels surreal. It’s really a special feeling to get the country’s biggest honour so soon in your career. And I’m thankful to God,” he shares. The Manmarziyaan star is also grabbing attention for his debut music video Pachtaoge alongside Nora Fatehi. Launched a week ago, the video is trending big-time.

Here, the Masaan actor tells us what prompted him to do a music video and sharing the National Award with Ayushmann Khurrana.

Your maiden music video has been a success. Coming on the back of the National Award win, you must be on cloud nine?
I’m very happy. I featured in a music video for the first time. I was curious to know how it would be received. I was happy to collaborate with some of the magical artistes that we have in the industry — Arijit Singh, Jaani Ve, Prabh Uppal, Nora (Fatehi) — they all are immensely talented. I am glad that it’s got a great response.

What prompted you to do the music video?
The song! Bhushan ji (Kumar, producer) sent it to me and I was hooked to it. I was listening to it the entire day. Wherever I went, I had this song playing in my head. It didn’t leave me for days. That’s when I knew I needed to jump into this.

How was it working with Nora Fatehi?
I worked with her for the first time. Nora is a girl full of positivity, doesn’t throw tantrums and is someone who radiates positivity on set. You feel like working and jamming with her. She is always laughing, having fun and is a cool personality. I loved working with her. We all know what a fine dancer she is but after working with her in Pachtaoge, I got to know what a fine actor she is, too.

Would you like to be part of more such music videos?
Yes, of course. But I would love to do something different from Pachtaoge, maybe like a dance video, but the song has to really strike a chord with me.

Now, that you have won the National Award, will it impact your choice in movies?
I have followed my gut till now. Just because you get recognition you don’t need to change your ways. It’s because of those choices that you got the honour, so I don’t want to lose that integrity. I don’t want to lose my trust or my instinct. I’ve always chosen films on based on my instinct, and that’s what I want to keep following.

You share the award with Ayushmann Khurranna...
Yes, after I found out about my award, the first call I made was to Ayushmann and not my parents. I called him and we were talking in Punjabi — Veere, congratulations! I’m happy that I’m sharing this award with him because I really consider him to be a fine talent. The kind of films that he’s chosen, the kind of scripts that he’s picking is inspiring. And there’s certain ease to him as an actor, which is appealing. I really admire him, not just as an actor, but also as a human being.