Ranveer Singh
Meena Iyer (DNA; February 7, 2019)

For Ranveer Singh, the process of playing Indian cricketing legend Kapil Dev in his next titled ’83 is not just about transforming physically into ‘someone’ who bears a resemblance to the favourite Indian pace bowler and all-rounder. In fact, the Bollywood superstar wants to get into the skin of the character as much as possible and he’s ready to do whatever is necessary.

For example, before he starts filming in Chandigarh, Kapil’s hometown, Ranveer has got an opportunity to spend three weeks with the former skipper himself. And he is grabbing this chance with both hands. “I am looking forward to spending time with Kapil sir. I feel that would be integral to my process of transforming myself into him. I want to absorb as much as I can from him — his story, experiences, thoughts, feelings, expressions and energy,” says Ranveer.

The actor adds, “I’m keen on getting tips on bowling and batting from the man himself. His achievements are extraordinary. He is the quintessential underdog who became a champion through perseverance, self-belief, hard work and a positive mindset. I am extremely inspired by him. I want to pour myself fully into this exciting character.”

Kabir Khan’s ’83 chronicles the journey of Kapil and his lesser-known (at that point) team who went from being a bunch of nobodies to those who clinched the World Cup in 1983. While the win is attributed to some remarkable contribution from every single player, it was the soft-spoken cricketer who led from the front as the captain. Immediately after Gully Boy’s release, Ranveer will start his intense preparation for ’83 that will see him transform into the ace sportsman, whose unique fast-bowling style mesmerised cricket lovers and left world-class batsmen at their wits’ end.