The actress talks about the controversy around Navjot Singh Sidhu & Kapil Sharma
Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; February 20, 2019)

While there are reports claiming that Archana Puran Singh has replaced former cricketer and politician Navjot Singh Sidhu on The Kapil Sharma Show, the actress says nothing has been finalised yet.

Kapil, too, came out in support of Singh and said that while he is with the government, banning or replacing Sidhu is not the solution. Since then, ‘Boycott Kapil Sharma’ has been trending on Twitter and not just that, fans have asked Salman Khan (producer of the show), to take strict action against Kapil for this.

We spoke to Archana about the entire controversy and she said, “Clearly, social media has become so big today that one has to be very careful before commenting or expressing their opinion on any issue.”

‘It is important that people’s sentiments are not hurt. Whatever you wish to express should be expressed in a responsible manner. I don’t know if I am replacing Sidhu permanently. I had shot for two episodes because he was busy with his political commitments. In the past too, many times when Sidhu had other commitments, I had stepped in for him on the show. Kapil and I go back a long way; I have known him from the time he was a participant on Comedy Circus. Kapil, his entire team and the channel are family for me. So, when your family needs you, you can’t say no to them. If the channel and makers want me to step in, I will do so,” says Archana.

Meanwhile, Kapil Sharma has been criticised on social media for supporting Sidhu and saying that banning or replacing him is not the solution. Ask Archana about this controversy and she says, “I would not like to express my views on what happened and whether someone should have commented on the current situation in the country, but I have a strong stand. Whenever our country is in conflict with any other nation, I will strongly stand by what my country, the government, the Prime Minister and opposition leaders feel is in the best interests of the nation. And this is not because the concerned person has said something, this is my belief that I will not have any other stand but to support my country.”