The director has commissioned Ronit Sarkar to give playback for his next
Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; August 10, 2018) 

After Bappi Lahiri entrusted his son Bappa to arrange the music for his next project and grandson Swastik to give playback, Pradeep Sarkar is following suit. Mirror has learnt that the filmmaker has commissioned his 26-year-old son Ronit to give playback for his upcoming directorial, the Kajol and Riddhi Sen-starrer Helicopter Eela. The young singer has previously sung the title track of his father’s 2010 directorial, Lafangey Parindey, which featured Deepika Padokone and Neil Nitin Mukesh.

“The song is titled ‘Mumma Ki Parchai’ and is composed by Amit Trivedi. The team tried my voice out first and thought it was a decent match, so we went to the studio and recorded it again for the film,” Ronit informs Mirror, adding that he loved the song’s energy the most. “Its lyrics are funny. The song is in the rock zone, which is familiar territory for me as I was a part of a few bands during college.”

Besides the genre, the singer identified with the song on a different level. “The song is about Kajol’s Eela and her son. As a teenager, sometimes you perceive your mother’s protectiveness as her being overbearing. You are too young to understand the sentiment behind it,” he points out, adding that he has been a Kajol fan since childhood.

After his initiation in Bollywood playback, Ronit is undecided if he would follow in his father’s footsteps. “I’ve been into music for as long as I can remember. I have some independent tracks coming out this month. Apart from that, I’m looking to find out where I fit in best in the creative field. I don’t know about direction but I’m currently undergoing training for it,” he adds.

Ronit was born in Delhi and moved to Mumbai only after he turned nine because his dad was working on a music video. “Life on set to me is second nature,” he reveals, going on to add that he was on the sets frequently to help his dad and the team in whatever way he could. “I’ve been on set all my life but this time the film’s characters have a lot of connection with music. There was a piano on the set and a guitar too. We would be jamming in a room there. Kajol plays the piano in the film so I helped her out.”

Speaking about the song he says the recording happened over an evening. “Dad wasn’t present because he tries not to be in the studio when I’m recording,” he laughs, saying he bonded with Riddhi, a fellow musician and the film’s male lead. “Riddhi is younger than me, not just the character but the actor too. He’s a guitarist so we hung out quite a bit when I was on the set,” he informs.