Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: Will surely turn to direction in few years
Having faced the camera for two decades, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on how turning filmmaker is the next logical step
Upala KBR (MID-DAY; August 3, 2018)

The past two decades have seen Aishwarya Rai Bachchan light up the big screen with her presence. In what can well be viewed as a natural progression of her craft, the actor - whose Fanney Khan opens across screens today - says she is keen to explore her place behind the camera.

"Direction does interest me. In a few years from now, I will surely turn director," says Rai, whose filmography is proof that she often knows a great script when she sees one. The actor says her understanding of the craft hasn't gone unnoticed by her peers. "All my directors and co-stars have teased me about it. Even AB [Abhishek Bachchan] tells me that I should explore it."

It's not surprising when she promises that she will be a hands-on director - after all, she has learnt the art vicariously through her collaborations with some of the finest filmmakers of this generation, including Mani Ratnam, Karan Johar and Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

"When I do direct, I will throw myself whole-heartedly in it. It will never be a fly-by-night commitment for me, as my work consumes me completely. Even though I had only four scenes in Fanney Khan, I would have endless talks with Atul Manjrekar [director] to understand them fully." However, she adds that filmmaking will have to wait for a few years as she is not completely done with her first love - acting. "Interesting scripts are still coming my way. I'm excited about the possibility of working on them."