P Sangeetha (BOMBAY TIMES; October 23, 2017)

Actress Shruti Haasan told us she is not big on Deepavali, which was why, perhaps, she worked right around the festivities. Shruti was in Coimbatore recently and said she was not into noisy fire crackers. "One of my best friends just had a baby and it's tough for her to put the baby to sleep. There are animals that are petrified and old people who can't take the noise pollution. I definitely hope we reduce noise pollution as the years go by. But I personally love sparklers," the actress tells us.

Shruti is currently working on dad Kamal Haasan's upcoming multi-lingual comedy, Sabhash Kundu. So, how is the experience? "It has been really good. I have learnt a lot not just because he is my dad, but because there is so much to learn from a man like him. His diligence, his passion is cinema, and for him, creating that is the ultimate goal. He had to take over the direction of the film last minute, but the grace and the clarity with which he did it is very inspiring."

She adds, "As a director, one of the things I like about him is how much he lets his actors discover and know their own strengths. He lets you grow and gives you utmost freedom. Of course, he is gently moulding you into the character he has already envisaged in his mind, and yet, makes you feel so connected with the process of creating the character." Would she like to team up with mother, actress Sarika and sister Akshara for a film? "I would love to. It depends on the film," quips Shruti

In the meantime, Shruti is awaiting the release of the much-delayed Hindi flick Yaara. "It's still in the post-production stage. It's one of the films I have enjoyed the most being a part of. Working with Tigmanshu Dhulia (director) has been a highlight of my career. He is fantastic to work with. What I love about the character is that it spans a period of time. It's not just one character and the growth is very much like life. It's one of the most realistic films I have done in terms of my character." So, when is the film expected to hit screens? "You should ask the producer about it," she says. But at the moment, Shruti says, "I am doing a lot of collaborations. Independent music is something that I have shifted my attention back to."

When quizzed about her father's tryst with politics, Shruti says, "I will support him in his endeavours. I am not very politically aware or motivated. Most of the times, I don't even know what's happening. I am not the most politically informed person, to be honest. But my father is, and has always been a very conscientious citizen. He is someone who has an understanding of society on various levels. I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do. At this stage in his life, this is the path that he has chosen."