Athiya Shetty and Arjun Kapoor
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; July 6, 2017)

Rumours about Athiya Shetty dating her Mubarakan co-star, Arjun Kapoor, have been doing the rounds for a while. Unfazed by the gossip, Shetty feels news about their affair is little more than fabrication. “We’ve known each other for a long time. Anshula [Arjun’s sister] and I have been friends. That’s how I got to know him over time. I don’t think the media is aware of it, so they have blown things out of proportion,” she says.

Shetty says the gossip hasn’t affected the bond she shares with Kapoor. “To get affected means to leave the door open for the relationship to sour. We know the truth. This discussion has never been part of dinner table conversation. My parents are more than aware of my personal and professional priorities,” says Shetty.

Shetty made her film debut with Hero (2015), which failed to appeal to the audience. But, she doesn’t regret doing the film. “When it didn’t do well, I was left feeling insecure. I realised later that failure makes you stronger. I decided to wait for the right film to come my way.” Shetty hopes Mubarakan is that movie.