Ranveer Singh
Nayandeep Rakshit (DNA; July 6, 2017)

Ranbir Kapoor has turned producer with Jagga Jasoos. It’s something that senior actors have been doing for close to a decade now. Ranbir has paved the way for younger actors to do niche films like Badlapur for Varun Dhawan and Finding Fanny for Arjun Kapoor, he has now shown them that they can also produce films.

While actresses like Priyanka Chopra and Anushka Sharma have set up production offices and have had some luck, the heroes are still waiting. Ask Ranveer Singh about turning producer anytime soon and he expresses his interest, “I don’t rate my business acumen very highly, so if I were to, then I want to be a creative producer. I would definitely be interested in creatively curating a project.”

Speaking about the kind of films he would like to make, he says, “I would like to back a novel idea. It would be something mainstream, something that has a universal theme that kids can watch, appreciate and enjoy. A very young film for teenagers, maybe.”

Ranveer adds he “has immense respect” for his contemporaries who are producing films, “Anushka and I more or less started our careers together, so I am very, very proud of what she is doing. My best wishes are with Ranbir. I admire him for backing a novel story in the way that he has, in his first outing as a producer and I am especially appreciative of everything that Priyanka is doing for regional cinema.”

Many of his contemporaries have also expressed the desire to direct films, and he identifies with that. But he rues that he is still “not ready to direct a film” yet. “Yes, I have some ideas that I am working on, some stories that I would be excited to tell but I have got a long way to go, a lot more to learn about the craft and a lot more life experience to accumulate before I would consider myself ready to direct a film,” Ranveer says.

On the work front, Ranveer is currently finishing Sanjay Bhansali’si, which releases this November and then moves on to Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy where he is paired with Alia Bhatt for the first time.