Tiger Shroff asserts he’d rather concentrate on his part than on who’s cast opposite him when quizzed about potential fellow ‘Students’ Jahnvi Kapoor and Ananya Panday
Sanyukta Iyer (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 6, 2017)

In a time when political correctness is the order of the day, Tiger Shroff surprises with his frank-speak. When quizzed about the reported induction of two star kids-turned-debutantes, Sridevi-Boney Kapoor’s daughter Jahnvi, and Chunky Panday’s daughter Ananya, opposite him in the Student of the Year sequel, the actor is mindful to not reveal much about the film’s acting lineup, insisting instead that he has no inhibitions working with newcomers since he was one himself three years ago. “When I work with someone who is my junior, I know exactly what the person is going through. I’ve never felt the need to work with established actresses even though I have had the opportunity to work with the beautiful and fantastic Shraddha Kapoor (Baaghi) and Jacqueline Fernandez (A Flying Jatt).” But then, he adds candidly, “I don’t get involved with the casting at all. I don’t really care about the padding around me. It’s the script and my character that matter,” he asserts. Wonder if he is alluding to his leading ladies or to sartorial aesthetics.

The 27-year-old actor seems to be on a roll — close on the heels of bagging voiceover duties for the Hindi version of Spider-Man: Homecoming and the official Hindi remake of Rambo, comes the news of Karan Johar’s ‘Student’ coup. Then, there’s another sequel in Baaghi 2, for which Ahmed Khan is taking over the directorial reigns from Sabbir Khan. Tiger believes the change of guard is acceptable as the vision and premise of Part 2 is completely different. Disha Patani, his rumoured girlfriend, taking over as leading lady from Shraddha and he points out that the film will be a completely different world and not a continuation to the original. “I will be at ease shooting with Disha. I share a special bond with her and I’m comfortable around her,” he explains.

Before that he has Sabbir Khan’s Munna Michael coming up which is Tiger’s third film with the director after his 2014 debut Heropanti and Baaghi. He is quick to add that dance and action are “mere decorations” in the musical-drama. “It’s a heart-warming rollercoaster, a love triangle between the three leads,” the actor informs about the film that features him in the titular role, Nawazuddion Siddiqui as gangster-turned-dancer Mahinder Fauji, and debutante Nidhhi Agerwal as Dolly. “The dance and action serve as forms of entertainment, but the film is also beautifully layers with emotional highs and complex relationships.” He also admits to being relieved to have sister Krishna Shroff on the sets as an assistant director. “She is my biggest supporter and toughest critic. She is always blunt and brutally honest but I still ask her for suggestions. She was my go-to person when I was unsure about something. For me, she was the second director on set,” he smiles fondly, recounting how Krishna would insist that he take selfies with fans who gathered around his vanity van during breaks.

While Munna Michael is an ode to Michael Jackson, Sidharth Anand’s Hindi remake of Sylvester Stallone’s cult actioner, Rambo, Tiger says, is his personal tribute to the “greatest Hollywod legend”. “He has even approved of me playing his Hindi counterpart. My effort is not to replace him but give him the perfect tribute through my performance,” Tiger exults.

Earlier this week, a video of the newest Spiderman, Tom Holland, praising Tiger after watching his moves in “Whistle Baja” went viral. Tiger, who has lent his voice to the superhero in the Hindi version reveals that one-half of his childhood dream has come true. “I had two dreams – to be Spider Man and make my parents proud. It is heart-warming that Tom was impressed with what I could do. The dubbing was extremely taxing, I had to train in voice modulation and record in different pitches and paces to match Tom’s character. I also needed a different energy for the action sequences,” he recalls.

Buzz is, Tiger’s been approached to team up with John Abraham for a big-budget actioner. The duo had shot for two days together for a commercial and had instantly liked each other. Prod Tiger on whether we will see him roaring alongside John in the Hindi remake of The Expandebles and he replies, “I have not signed any project with John at the moment but I am looking forward to working with him sooner than later. He is so cool! I used to always look up to his work but after shooting with him for two days, I became his biggest fan.”