Lasyapriya Sundaram (BOMBAY TIMES; June 4, 2017)

In less than two years, Priyanka Chopra has managed to storm her way into Hollywood. First, it was the TV show that made America sit up and take notice of her. Now, with the role of the antagonist, Victoria Leeds, in Baywatch, it looks like she has managed her big Hollywood debut on her own terms. But will her Hollywood sojourn be better than that of any of the Indian actors who have ventured into the territory? Taking on questions like this and many more, the actress holds forth in a chat with BT. Excerpts...

The popular TV series, Baywatch, catered to the male gaze. Why did you choose the big-screen adaptation of the TV series as your Hollywood debut?
The film is about lifeguards and swimsuits and glamour, but Seth (Gordon, director) has maintained equality and you will see objectification of the boys, too. With Zac Efron and Dwayne Johnson, Baywatch clearly caters to the female gaze as well. As for me choosing it as my Hollywood debut, I was clear that I didn't want to do anything that would get me stereotyped. I knew that whatever work I do - big or small - just like my career in India, I would choose something that broke the mould a little bit. For example, what I did in Kaminey (2009). I just had eight scenes, but it broke the stereotype of the girl's role in a boy's film. In Baywatch, the role was written for a man and the film was supposed to feature a male villain. It's high time that in films, women play central and empowered parts. To me, that was the most exciting bit. I get to take on Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, Zac Efron and all the lifeguards. It was an interesting way of introducing myself in mainstream American cinema.That was the idea behind choosing this film.

The TV series you headline propelled you into Hollywood royalty. How do you think Baywatch will help you leverage your position in the West?
I am realistic about these things. I am not someone who expects my first film in Hollywood to catapult me into becoming the biggest star in the country. Talking about leveraging my position, I experienced an incredible welcome even before Baywatch - whether it was presenting at the most prestigious award shows, gracing the covers of innumerable magazines or being on talk shows. All this happened because of Quantico.

While Dwayne and you lock horns on screen, clearly you shared a great camaraderie otherwise, considering the fact that he nicknamed you 'sizzler'...
He comes up with various nicknames. In fact, when you watch the film, you will see that he has a different name for Zac in every other scene. In real life too, he had a name for me every time we met. Dwayne is one of the nicest guys I know. I have had the good fortune of working with many incredible and gigantic movie stars in India who have experienced the kind of fandom that Dwayne has. I have always maintained that the bigger the star, the more humble and nicer he or she is. He knew that I didn't know anyone there and every time he saw me doing a cover shoot or an interview, he was encouraging.

When you give your nod to a project in the West, do you also consider if it would appeal to your fans in India? Or do you feel that as an international star, your choices cannot be governed by what your Indian fans expect?
That's a very tricky thing. It's something that I have been dealing with in my own head. We live in 2017 and modern India has access to entertainment from all over the world. I don't discredit the Indian audience that watches Hindi films and expect them not to understand the fact that I am doing an English film. I am an actor and I work in various kinds of films. I am not worried about it when I am choosing roles. My choice of films has always been very personal. If a role resonates with me, I do it. That's why at times it works and at times, it doesn't.

While many Indian actors have tried to make a mark in Hollywood, you have done it in the true sense of the word. Would you agree?
South Asians are one-fifth of the world's population. So, we need to have representation in global entertainment. I am glad that I have been able to make a dent, it encourages people to not look at South Asians through a singular prism. Hopefully, people will not see us as exotic princesses now. Having said that, I am not someone who will harp on something that I have achieved because there is so much more to do. We have many other incredible actors from India who have worked in global entertainment and are doing exactly the same thing. They are taking on roles which break the rules, including Anil Kapoor. We need people to come in and demand good roles. We will not get it all the time. I have faced it myself. So many times (in the West), I have been told that I am too Indian for a mainstream part. I don't know what that means. That's what we need to change.

Will we see you taking up more films in Hollywood and Bollywood?
I don't know. My TV show has been picked for a shorter season because I really want to do both films and TV . Earlier, I wasn't able to do too many films. I shot for Bajirao Mastani and Baywatch while working on Quantico. Now, with a shorter season which will last only four or five months, I will be able to take on more films. I am in talks for film projects in America and India. I know I am coming back to India for my father's barsi. I will be home for about a week. I don't have roots, only wings. I live on a plane. But you know what, I am okay with that.