Takes over as Dayawanti Mehta in a daily soap
Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; May 20, 2017)

Popular theatre and television artiste Ragini Shah has been brought in to step into the late Reema Lagoo’s shoes in Naamkaran after the latter’s sudden demise. Reema played Dayawanti Mehta, one of the protagonists in the Star Plus show.

“When I got the call I blanked out totally. But the producers were desperate because the current wedding track is pivotal to the show and they needed a replacement urgently. It is still hard to believe that a happy-go-lucky person like Reema who was shooting on Wednesday is no more,” sighs Ragini who was already busy with a Gujarati film and committed to a play. She wriggled out of theatre commitment for television and was doing a look test on Friday morning. “Maheshji (Bhatt) came to meet me, along with producers, to explain the role. This is the first time I’m replacing someone but Maheshji told me to think of Dayawanti as a new character. Everyone is helping me.”

The actress confesses that since she’s been busy with stage, she hasn’t watched the show in the past but the makers have assured her that’s a good thing because she can play the character her way. “Dayawanti is strong, and unpredictable, I think I will enjoy playing her,” she says.

Being a theatre artiste Ragini had met Reema during a Gujarati play. Since the late actress was speaking an unfamiliar language, she would ask her if she was doing it right. “Reemaji was always open to suggestions. I respected her a lot and will dedicate this performance to her,” she asserts.