Vinod Kambli
Letty Mariam Abraham (MID-DAY; April 8, 2017)

They made their Kanga League debut together and broke into the Indian cricket team just a few years apart. Now, just a few days after Sachin Tendulkar unveiled his song, Sachin’s Cricket Wali Beat in association with Sonu Nigam, the Master Blaster’s childhood friend Vinod Kambli is set to launch his debut single, Asa Mee… Mee Asa.

While their friendship may have suffered a dent over the years, he claims, “I liked Sachin’s song, but it was only on cricket. My track, on the other hand, is all about my life.”

Kambli has rapped in Marathi and shot the music video across various locations in Mumbai. “Director Jainendra Baxi and Rahul (Seth, R& B singer-songwriter) approached me for the single. I had met Rahul at a function and he came up with the idea of doing something together. Jai’s idea was to include a Maharashtrian folk angle to the song.”

Kambli says he has covered all aspects of his life in the song. “The teaser is out and people have appreciated it. We are still working on the special effects and will release it sometime next week,” adds Kambli.

What about his look in the song? “Jai wanted me to look like a rapper. I have three looks in the single that go well with the peppy song. My children have already started dancing to the tunes.”