Upala KBR (DNA; April 3, 2017)

Charity has been a part of Athiya Shetty’s life since her childhood, as she invested time in her mother Mana’s child welfare organisation Save The Children over the years. The actress, now a 20-something, has personally started looking into the organisation’s work.

She tells us about her early days in social work, “I started when I was 10. I used to go after school ended and help teach children with special needs. And then as I grew older, I started working with adolescent girls, who were rescued.”

The actress doesn’t just spend time with the children, she also donates money to STC. But, she adds, the real joy they feel is when she spends time with them. “Time, I feel, is more important for these children, they feel special and loved when you even spend half a day with them. Besides that, I try and give away a percentage of my income and clothes and whatever I think they’d like/need,” she says.

The actress is currently shooting for Anees Bazmee’s next in London. And despite her hectic schedule, she always manages to find time for children. She credits her mom for her empathetic side, “I have learned so many things from my mom. She’s passionate about taking care of these children and making sure they receive an education, which is every child’s right, no matter what,” she adds.