Rinky Kumar (BOMBAY TIMES; September 4, 2016)

Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength -this famous quote by US President Theodore Roosevelt couldn't ring truer for Emraan Hashmi. To say that the last few years have been tough for the Bollywood actor would be an understatement. With a string of flops behind him and his six-year-old son, Ayaan, triumphing over cancer, Emraan has seen several ups and downs. However, he admits that what has stood him in good stead during this period is his perseverance to work harder and stay positive. As he gears up for his upcoming film, Raaz Reboot, which is directed by Vikram Bhatt, he tells Bombay Times how he understands the significance of relationships a lot better now and why the Bollywood formula of love, music and emotions has always worked for the Raaz franchise.

You started out as an assistant director in Raaz (2002). What are your earliest memories of the film?
I wasn't assisting throughout the film, but it was still a learning experience. I remember going to Ooty during that time and assisting Vikram on the writing of my Bollywood debut Footpath (2003). The chilly weather got to me after 10 days. We were up in the hills and it was quite lonely there.

Raaz Reboot is your third film of the franchise.When you look back at the earlier two films in which you had acted, how do you perceive them?
Raaz: The Mystery Continues and Raaz 3 were more urbanised as compared to the first film. They were set in the heart of the city to give the audience a feeling that they can have a paranormal experience in a crowded metropolis like Mumbai. So, that was a good experience as an actor. We have set Raaz Reboot in Romania. The country is beautiful and brings its own aesthetics. It's like a character in the script.

You had told Vikram that you wouldn't act in another instalment of this franchise. What made you change your mind?
Vikram had told me that he wanted to make the fourth instalment when we were filming Raaz 3. At that time, I told him that I wouldn't want to be a part of it. I couldn't see the franchise beyond a trilogy. But I was surprised when I heard the script of Raaz Reboot. It's ahead of the curve. Today, the audience has become smarter as they are exposed to diverse kinds of cinema. Vikram has not only written it but has also shot it well. I feel he has monopolised the horror genre here.

Why are horror films in India more formulaic as compared to Hollywood?
We definitely have to abide by a few trappings like songs and a love story. These factors give our films a more universal appeal. Our movies start off with interpersonal relationships and focus on emotions. Then, we bring in the horror and music elements, which become a huge draw. You can call it formulaic but this formula has worked for this franchise.

The last few years have been trying times for you. Ayaan was battling cancer and you recently lost your mother too to the same illness. How did you cope?
I guess all of us have the will to make things right and push ourselves in the times of crisis. We have the optimism to crawl out of any situation and get to a better place.

How did that phase change your relationship with your son?
When such incidents happen with our loved ones, we realise how fragile things are. We understand that a crisis like this can happen to anyone, anytime. Everything that you had built can just crumble without any kind of warning. I have seen it (cancer) happen to other people and I could never imagine that it could happen to us. That's the scary part. It decides to knock on your door without any warning sign. This has made me cherish the time that I have and ensure that I spend it well with my family.

How did you handle the low phase in your career?
I have seen many low phases in my career. What is important is that you hold your head high and work with utmost honesty. Eventually, positivity will prevail and you can come out from any situation and get to a higher ground.

What prompted you to turn producer?
I wanted to have creative control. I have always been keen to have my own production house and make films that are an extension of me.

What kind of topics would like to explore?
I would like to produce relatable, topical films. It could be based on a real-life incident. It could also be a thriller or a horror film. I have always been attracted to these genres.