Mohar Basu (BOMBAY TIMES; September 22, 2015)

Model Satarupa Pyne, who is all set to make her Bollywood debut with Calendar Girls, says she has forayed into the industry because of destiny. “I've been living in Mumbai for two years and have established myself as a model. I had no experience in acting when I auditioned for this film but I knew that I could act. Fate helped me land a role in this film,“ she says.

Satarupa plays a 'Bong bombshell' named Paroma Ghosh in this Madhur Bhandarkar film, which is produced by ManglMurti Films and releases on September 25. “My character is crucial to the story. Paroma comes from a middle-class family and hence she is easy to relate to. Madhurji has attempted to unmask the IPL match-fixing scams with my track,“ she adds.

Despite being roped in to essay a demanding role, the actress kept her research minimal. She explains, “I wasn't sure on whom my character was based, but there was an element of realism in it which made me feel at ease instantly. The character comes close to my real-life persona. Since I'm a model, wearing a bikini wasn't a big deal for me.“

Satarupa emphasises that collaborating with Madhur was an enriching experience for her. She concedes, “I'd never expected him to treat us with such respect. He didn't make us feel like newcomers. After every good take, he would give us a hug. He had faith in me when I had no faith in myself. MB (as we fondly call him) has spoilt us with his love.“

Though Satarupa shares screen space with four other debutantes in the movie, she has a sense of security as she was the first to sign the film. She says, “I feel it is an advantage that the film divides its attention equally between us. That gave us our individual space to learn. Working with actors of different temperament teaches you how to bond with people even though you know that you'll be competing with them.“

A large chunk of the movie is shot in Mauritius. Recalling her most memorable anecdote from the overseas schedule, the she says, “While the others shot at picturesque beaches, I had to shoot in a jungle with two white tigers. I was shivering at the thought, though the animals were both well-trained. Madhur said I'm his 'Bengal Tigress' and so he had the scene in mind for me. I somehow survived that daredevil act and ended up feeling on the top of the world.“

With the release of her debut film around the corner, Satarupa isn't anxious. “I have been an athlete for most part of my life and I know that you can either win or lose a game. Something gives me tremendous faith that Calendar Girls will work for me. I haven't watched the film yet, but I am hoping for the best,“ she signs off.