Showing posts with label Sakshi Malik. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Sakshi Malik. Show all posts

Scene deleted; Bombay High Court okays Telugu film's re-release on Amazon Prime

Rosy Sequeira (THE TIMES OF INDIA; March 4, 2021)

Mumbai: Observing that consent is at the heart of the matter, the Bombay High Court has directed streaming platform Amazon Prime to immediately take down the Telugu film ‘V’ until the producers delete the scene in which model-actress Sakshi Malik’s photograph had been used without her prior permission.

“Simply using another’s image, and most especially a private image, without consent is prima facie impermissible, unlawful and entirely illegal. In a given case, it may also be defamatory, depending on the type of use,” said Justice Gautam Patel on Tuesday.

The order came on a defamation suit filed by Malik against the “utterly illicit use” of her photograph by Venkateshwara Creations Pvt Ltd and V Venkata Ramana Reddy aka Dil Raju in the film ‘V’ that was released on September 4, 2020, and since then was available on Amazon Prime. In August 2017, Malik had uploaded photographs on her Instagram account and one of these pictures was used in the film in a reference to a “female escort or a commercial sex worker” and it was defamatory, argued her advocate Alankar Kirpekar.

The producers’ advocate, Akash Menon, said they had contracted an agency which had assured them they could legitimately use the image. But Justice Patel said her consent was necessary. “This is actually at the heart of the matter: Question of consent, or, more accurately, the damage done from the failure to obtain the plaintiff’s consent and permission to use her photograph and image in any manner at all. The fact that the image has been illicitly used is bad enough. It only makes matters worse when used in a plain derogatory and demeaning vein,” the judge said.

Noting that the matter will need to be examined more closely, the judge directed that Amazon Prime take down the film in all versions, irrespective of language and subtitles until the producers delete all images of Malik. “It is not acceptable for them to merely pixelate or blur the images. The entire sequence which has the image of the plaintiff is to be removed immediately,” said Justice Patel, granting 24 hours to do so.

He also restrained the release of the film on any media platform until the deletions are affected. Amazon Prime will not release any re-edited version of the film without HC order and the film will have to be shown to Malik before the judge permits its re-release, the court added.
-----------------------
Rosy Sequeira (THE TIMES OF INDIA; March 5, 2021)

Mumbai: The Bombay high court on Thursday allowed the rerelease of Telugu film ‘V’ on streaming platform Amazon Prime after it was informed that the scene in which model-actress Sakshi Malik’s photograph was illicitly used has been deleted.

The order by Justice Gautam Patel came after Amazon Prime informed that the film was taken down and the producers moved court for its re-release. Malik, through videoconference, confirmed the deletion was satisfactory and gave her nod to vacating the prohibition on re-release.

On Tuesday, Amazon Prime was directed to take down the film on a defamation suit filed by Malik against Venkateshwara Creations Pvt Ltd and V Venkata Ramana Reddy aka Dil Raju. The film, released on September 4, 2020, had used one of her pictures uploaded on Instagram in August 2017 with reference to a “female escort or a commercial sex worker”.

Justice Patel also accepted the producers’ undertaking that they will not further release the film with Malik’s photograph on any platform without her express consent. The judge also asked Malik to decide whether she wants to settle the matter or go ahead with the suit. He explained to her the ramifications of a long-drawn trial of a suit and said he could, at best, expedite its hearing.

Malik’s advocate Alankar Kirpekar said after the film was released the producers were approached to delete the scene. Only after HC’s order it was deleted within 24 hours. “Coming to court was the last resort,” he said, adding that “the usage of a woman as an object has to be stopped”. “If interim costs are imposed it will send a strong message...There should be no more Sakshi Maliks,” Kirpekar said.

Justice Patel agreed that Malik is “perhaps only the latest, and sadly possibly not the last, of a series of women who have constantly been objectified and taken for granted”. Slamming the producers, the judge asked their advocate Akash Menon: “Does your producer...have ladies (sic) in his family? Why didn’t he use their photographs? This is because he knows the context (of its use).” Menon replied that his clients were under a bona fide belief that the creative agency that sent the photograph had her consent.

Malik recounted the trauma and embarrassment she suffered since the film’s release. “...Even now I am suffering,” she said, adding that she has lost a lot of work. On March 25, Justice Patel will hear arguments on interim costs and has requested Malik to remain present.

Unit members of set of Jubin Nautiyal's music video shoot test positive for COVID-19

Jubin Nautiyal in Udaipur. Pic/Instagram
After cinematographer displays symptoms during Jubin Nautiyal's music video shoot in Udaipur, three more test positive for virus; unit home-quarantined upon return to Mumbai
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; September 7, 2020)

The make-up artistes attend to Asim Riaz On September 1, singer Jubin Nautiyal, actors Asim Riaz and Sakshi Malik, and a team of 10 technicians returned to Mumbai after a music video shoot. The yet-untitled single, sung by Nautiyal, was filmed over a week in Udaipur with a unit comprising the 13-member crew from Mumbai and 15 local technicians.

While the proceedings kicked off smoothly in the last week of August, director of photography (DoP) Sameer Arya complained of dry cough and fever on the fourth day of the shoot. The cinematographer immediately alerted the unit that he had developed Coronavirus symptoms, and resorted to self-quarantine at the hotel.

Sakshi Malik during the shootA source from the local unit says, "It was a lean team of less than 30 people. We underwent a COVID test before we started shooting. Sameer displayed symptoms in the last leg of the shoot. So, the assistant cinematographer took over his duties for the remaining three days. Meanwhile, Sameer consulted a doctor to keep the fever in check and stayed in isolation. As soon as the shoot was wrapped up, the Mumbai team left for the city on Monday night."

Since travelling by air would risk other passengers to exposure, T-Series, the production house backing the single, promptly arranged for the team to travel by road. On reaching Mumbai, three more unit hands tested positive in the next few days. "Director Ashish Panda, production head Ravi Chaturvedi and the director's first assistant Tushar Thalipayal showed mild symptoms. They are all quarantining at home now," says the source. It is heard that two members of the local crew complained of fever and cough, but were found to be negative. "As a precautionary measure, the production house has asked the entire unit to home-quarantine for 14 days," adds the source. Nautiyal, Riaz and Malik, who feature in the song, have tested negative.

mid-day reached out to the studio, which declined to comment.

Check out excited-n-happy Jacqueline Fernandez & Kalki Koechlin after seeing a Guinness World Record


Sanyukta Iyer (MUMBAI MIRROR; November 7, 2016)

Mirror (November 5) had informed earlier that over a thousand women would be attempting a new fitness record on Sunday evening. Well, 1900 women turned up in Bandra Kurla Complex and 1623 successfully planked for 60 seconds to enter the Guinness Book of World Records, surpassing Hong Kong's 2011 record of 1323 men and women planking simultaneously.

“We were excited but sure that we would make a record,“ exulted Kalki Koechlin, who was a part of the endeavour, along with Bollywood actress Jacqueline Fernandez, Olympic medal-winning wrestler Sakshi Malik and fitness expert Sucheta Pal. “If even 10 per cent of us had failed, we wouldn't have qualified. But we did, that's girl power!“ Jacqueline had earlier told Mirror that the movement was to inspire confidence in young girls, encouraging them to express their inherent beliefs, follow their instincts and find their best self. “Women can be who they are, unapologetically!“ she had asserted.

We need real heroes-Randeep Hooda on Sakshi Malik's win


Randeep Hooda is delighted with Jat girl Sakshi Malik's win
Roshmila Bhattacharya (MUMBAI MIRROR; August 19, 2016)

In the early hours of Thursday, Sakshi Malik made history, beating Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan 8-5 in the Repechage rounds of the women's freestyle wrestling to clinch bronze in the 58kg category. Randeep Hooda who was on his way back from the US, was delighted to hear that a fellow Jat had made the tri-colour fly for the first time in the Rio Games. The 23- year-old clawed her way back from 0-5 to become the first woman wrestler to win an Olympic medal. "The little girl packs in a lot of fire-power," the actor, who has won many medals in equestrian events, exulted.

Randeep pointed out that for centuries Haryana has been a land of conflict and this is reflected in its language and the rough behaviour of its people. "It's also there in our desire to excel and our determination to come back when we're down. Sakshi has done the country proud... Done Haryana and its Jats proud. She's restored the sense of pride the state lost in the recent riots," he asserts.

He goes on to point out that Haryana has produced a lot of Olympians; the highest percentage of sportsperson to compete internationally. "Sakshi is from Mohra village in the Rohtak district. It's a village of Maliks and my dad has friends there. I don't know her or the Phogat sisters but I know a lot of others. They get a lot of encouragement from the state, far more than their counterparts elsewhere."

Our sportspersons, he maintains, are not short of talent or courage nor are our coaches short in experience or expertise. But he rues that system sucks because of all the politics rampant in sports and the sporting federations. "It's sad that even though we had an excess staff travelling with the contingent, the team's official doctor was a radiologist. I don't want to point fingers and make this about somebody or something. The problem lies with the general attitude but not that many have been exposed, I'm positive the government will crack down on all of them. It's a matter of national pride," asserts Randeep who took on a has-been wrestler and moulded him into a champion in his last release.

His biggest grouse is that while we don't have the infrastructure needed to produce champions, there are a bevy of people who come flocking in after they win. "They are ready to shower them with awards and rewards but 'after' they win, it's almost like a guilty recognition for not having been there for them before," he sighs.

Sakshi had to wrestle with boys early in her career and face social opposition because women were not allowed to enter the dangal (wrestling ring) earlier in Haryana. The state has been in the news for its cases of female infanticide leading Virender Sehwag to tweet #SakshiMalik is a reminder of what can happen if u don't kill a girl child. When d going gets tough, its our girls who get going & save our pride. (sic)"

While Randeep is glad that a girl child has won a medal for the country and this will result in more families supporting their daughters, he asserts that infanticide is a thing of the past. "It's buried... history. Yes, there are some idiots practicing it in some remote corner, but there are idiots everywhere. The government is stricter now in executing the law and people are more sensible. The equations have changed and Jat girls like Saina Nehwal and now Sakshi are great role models who will teach Haryanvis to value their girls more," he says.

Even in the sports arena, he points out, medals are no longer the prerogative of just the men. Tennis ace Sania Mirza, badminton player PV Sindhu, boxer Mary Kom, gymnast Dipa Karmakar, along with Saina and Sakshi have made a name for themselves across the world. And he's confident they can do even better with a little more support.

"Sakshi had a menial job in the railway and she was competing with the best in the world. Surely we can do better for her," he urges. So will he take a selfie with Sakshi if the opportunity presented itself? "Absolutely!" he exclaims. "She is a hero and I'll be proud to take a selfie with her. She's an example, we need real heroes like her in every community and state across the country."