Showing posts with label Rita Bhattacharya. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Rita Bhattacharya. Show all posts

Personal life is personal and it should not be made public-Kumar Sanu


Tanvi Trivedi (MUMBAI MIRROR; April 4, 2026)

Veteran playback singer Kumar Sanu earlier this year secured a significant legal victory in a defamation suit filed against his ex-wife Rita Bhattacharya. In January, the Bombay High Court restrained from giving any contentious interviews about him, bringing relief to the singer after a prolonged legal battle.

Speaking about the judgement, Sanu expressed a sense of closure and emphasized the importance of maintaining dignity in personal matters. “We have decided that no one will throw mud at each other. Personal life is personal and it should not be made public. I don’t feel anyone has the right to defame someone just like that,” he said.

Highlighting the emotional toll of such allegations, the singer added, “Whatever I am today, I struggled for 40 years to reach this place. I made my name. If someone tries to defame me in a minute, that is not right. That’s why I went to court,” he stated.

On the professional front, Sanu remains content with his journey in the music industry. He is glad to see his classic songs resonate with younger audiences. “It’s wonderful to see those songs being performed on television shows. The younger generation is rediscovering them, and we should be happy that our music is still being played even after 40 years,” he said.

The singer continues to be busy with recordings, live performances and focusing on his official YouTube channel. “The biggest thing is that my channel releases two new songs every month. That keeps me very busy,” he shared.

‘Retirement is a Personal Choice’
Sanu also commented on reports surrounding Arijit Singh potentially stepping back from the spotlight. Calling it a personal decision, he said, “That is his choice. This is not the age of retirement, but whatever decision he has taken, it takes a lot of courage.”

Kumar Sanu gets gag order against ex-wife; thanks Bombay High Court

Kumar Sanu gets gag order against ex-wife; thanks HC

S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 24, 2026)

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday granted ad-interim relief to singer Kumar Sanu in his Rs. 50 crore defamation suit against his ex-wife, Rita Bhattacharya, filed in December 2025.

The court also passed a gag order in Sanu’s favour, restraining Rita and several independent media houses from publishing any allegedly defamatory statements about the singer or his family.

Reacting to the order, Sanu’s lawyer Sana Raees Khan said the relief protects a reputation built over decades and reinforces that “dignity and reputation are legally protected rights”.

Rita’s counsel, Atif Noor Hasan Shaikh, urged the bench to refer the matter for mediation and said Rita would remain present on the next date. He added that her reply and supporting evidence would be filed through due process, and she was open to an amicable resolution, including mediation, “for the sake of Kumar Sanu and their three sons Jesee, Zicco and Jaan Bhattacharya”.

Sanu, who separated from Rita in 1994 and divorced in 2001, is seeking Rs. 50 crore in damages, alleging she made false claims about him through social media and interviews, harming his reputation and goodwill.
--------------------------------
My reputation is the result of years of dedication and my family should never have had to suffer because of the defamatory statements that affected my reputation and our dignity.
- Kumar Sanu

I don’t know how Kumar Sanu is dreaming that I have Rs. 50 crores-Rita Bhattacharya


Rita Bhattacharya reacts to the defamation case filed by the singer
Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; December 21, 2025)

Singer Kumar Sanu’s ex-wife and Jaan Kumar Sanu’s mother, Rita Bhattacharya, says she was shocked when she received a defamation notice filed against her by her former husband. Speaking to Bombay Times, Rita reacts to the legal action, the amount mentioned in the notice, and the impact it has had on her and her three sons.

'He is asking for 50 crores'
“I’m shocked. He is filing a case against the mother of his three grown-up sons,” she says. While reports suggest that Sanu is seeking Rs. 30 lakh as compensation, Rita claims that the notice she received mentions a much higher figure. "The paper he has sent me, he is asking for 50 crores. I don’t know how Sanu is dreaming that I have so much money. It is really sad,” she laments.

Rita questions why she has been singled out when others (hinting at his ex-girlfriend Kunickaa Sadanand) have spoken publicly as well. “He is attacking me without attacking any other person. He is filing a case against me, not about the other people who are talking and inciting things. What is being discussed elsewhere is more insulting, and it is very insulting for my children also,” she points out.

The issue traces back to Kunickaa recently speaking about her past relationship with a married man (Kumar Sanu) inside the Bigg Boss house. Her comments drew a public reaction from Rita and escalated further when her son, Jaan Sanu, criticized Kunickaa.

'He has always blocked us'
Asked if she tried speaking to Sanu to clear the air, Rita maintains that there has been no communication between them for years. “I never got a chance to talk to him. Neither me nor my children ever got a chance to talk to him because he has always blocked us. I tried to call Sanu, but he never took our calls. We are blocked on his number,” she says, adding that she attempted to reach out through his office earlier when stuff has.

“I contacted his secretary and requested him to please stop this. It is a very big insult. My son was getting married, and the in-laws were asking questions. I requested many times. I have all the messages and recordings on my phone,” she recalls.

'I will meet Sanu in the court after 31 years'
Calling the situation humiliating, Rita says, “This is very insulting. My children are not kids. They are grown-up men. My elder son will be 37, my second son will be 34, and Jaan is already 31. I don’t think it is their crime that they are answering people. They did nothing.”

She adds that returning to court at this stage of her life is especially painful. “I am 63 years old, and again I have to fight in court. The first time he took me to court, I was pregnant with Jaan. Now again, at this age, I have to go through this. I will meet Sanu in the court after 31 years.”

Rita also reveals that she is planning to file a counter-case. “I will see him in the court. And I will request Sanu with folded hands — just try to be a good human being and be the father of my three children. If you can’t love us, at least don’t disturb us and don’t harass us anymore,” she concludes.

Kumar Sanu slaps ex-wife with legal notice over allegations of neglect during third pregnancy

Kumar Sanu slaps ex-wife with legal notice over allegations of neglect during third pregnancy

HINDUSTAN TIMES (October 3, 2025)

Singer Kumar Sanu has sent a legal notice to his ex-wife Rita Bhattacharya over allegations that he and his family deprived her of food and basic necessities during her third pregnancy.

“We will ensure that malicious attempts to defame him are met with the full force of the law to protect his dignity, legacy and family honour. No individual or media platform has the right to malign a father’s honour or trade his family’s respect for sensationalism,” his lawyer Sana Raees Khan said in a statement on Thursday.

Rita had said in an interview on Saturday: “He denied them milk. He denied them medical care. You don’t know how much this man has tortured my children. The milkman told me he’d been told not to come over anymore, but he still gave me milk. Same with the doctor who delivered all three of my sons.” She also said she was given only Rs. 100 during the divorce and had to sell her jewellery to survive.

Kumar Sanu (67) married Rita in 1980 and divorced in 1994 after a turbulent marriage. During that time, Kumar was also linked to actor Kunickaa Sadanand. He later married Saloni Bhattacharya in 2001, with whom he has two daughters.

"Love can’t be just one-sided": Kumar Sanu reacts to his son Jaan’s allegations against him


The veteran singer talks about his son’s recent comments on how he has not been there for the family after his divorce from Jaan’s mother
Debarati Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; November 24, 2020)

Kumar Sanu is hurt by his youngest son Jaan Kumar Sanu’s recent comment that his father has never been a part of his life. Jaan, who was recently evicted from the Bigg Boss house, also said that he has been brought up single-handedly by his mother, Rita Bhattacharya. Speaking to BT from Los Angeles, Kumar Sanu said, “It is sad that Jaan is saying all this about me when he met me right before he went into the Bigg Boss house. He says I haven’t given them anything, but the fact is that during the divorce, I gave Rita ji what she had asked for, including my very first bungalow.”

The veteran singer shared, “The court had given custody of our three children to her because they were quite young. She has raised them single-handedly, which is commendable. I used to meet them under restrictions for a limited time. Later, after I remarried, I moved out of India because I did not have much work in Mumbai. But whenever I visited India, I would get in touch with my sons (Jessy, Jeeko and Jaan). We went out for dinner a few times. They were busy with their lives, but whenever they contacted me, I would try to be available if I was in Mumbai. We were in touch over calls. My work is such that I can never be in one place for a long duration. I can’t even stay with my wife Saloni and my two daughters for a long span of time, as I have to travel all over the world for concerts.”

One of the allegations that Jaan made was that his father never helped him in his career. Jaan told BT, “I have no idea why he never supported or promoted me as a singer… you can ask him why. I find it quite silly when people say I am a product of nepotism. I have created my own path.”

Reacting to this, Kumar Sanu said, “Jaan would send me songs and ask me what I thought about his singing. I have always encouraged him, and I always will. He asked me to call a few industry people who I know. I called Mukesh Bhatt ji, Ramesh Taurani ji and a few others, and Jaan went to meet them, but now it’s up to them if they want to give him work. In fact, when Jaan wanted to be a part of some of my live concerts, I let him join me for a few.”

Talking about his son’s comment on his mother bringing him up single-handedly, Kumar Sanu said, “I’ve heard him say in his interviews and also in Bigg Boss that his mother is his mom and dad for him. I appreciate his respect for his mom, and I believe in giving even more respect to his mother. He should write his name as Jaan Rita Bhattacharya, not Jaan Kumar Sanu because, firstly, she has done a lot for him, and secondly, people will compare him with me, which won’t be good for him as a newcomer. I’d be the happiest father to see him successful.” He added, “Recently, when I tested positive for Coronavirus, I was all alone. I was so weak and sick that I couldn’t go to the washroom by myself, but none of my sons bothered to ask about my health. Love can’t be just one-sided; it’s always two ways.”

— With inputs from Tanvi Trivedi